Skip to content
b862's profile

• 

1 Message

Friday, October 31st, 2014 8:00 PM

Closed

Turn off Xfinity Wifi Hotspot

I would like to turn off or disable the Xfinity Wifi (public) hotspot. I've seen other messages and threads asking for this with no real answer or solution. One answer only gave the instrutions to turn off the "private" wifi and there is no option in the account settings to turn of the public hotspot.

How can this be done? I have no use or need to provide this in my area.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

You can either call 1-800-391-3000, select technical support, and ask them to turn it off for you, OR you can IM one of the mods on this forum (Comcast_Jon, Comcast_Jacob, or others) and they can do it for you.

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello b862 and welcome,

If you have a Comcast DPC3939B Gateway CDG) , you can shut down your public wifi as follows: 

1. connect a computer using an Enet cable to one of the Lanport 1-4 ports on the back, bring up a browser and go to 10.1.10.1

2. username=cusadmin, password=highspeed

3. click on connections, then wifi, then click on the public 2.4 and 5 edit button, then disable the ssid and broadcasting.

4. click save settings, reboot the CDG and you should not see anymore xfinitywifi network connection.

If you have any single dedicated public wifi devices, simply unplug them from the AC and this will shut them completely down.

Hope this helps you out.  

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

@VBSSP-RICH, I don't think there is an option for "public 2.4GHz" or 5GHz in the DPC (at least, i'm not seeing one on my unit). Only private is accessible. See the attatched picture.

configpage.png

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi b862.  Currently access to the Xfinity Public WiFi interface is limited to Comcast Technicians. 

Reference the post below by Established Member train_wreck.  Please include the WAN MAC Address of the device in the private message.

Established Member
train_wreck

Re: Turn off Xfinity Wifi Hotspot

Options

‎11-01-2014 01:18 PM

You can either call 1-800-391-3000, select technical support, and ask them to turn it off for you, OR you can IM one of the mods on this forum (Comcast_Jon, Comcast_Jacob, or others) and they can do it for you.

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

@Comcast_John

Thank you for confirming that. 

I used to have outages everyday when XFINITY WIFI was enabled. It has now been 10 days since disabling XFINITY WIFI. Not one outage over the last 10 days. 

Comcast Reps doubted it would make any difference by disabling XFINITY WIFI, but the facts are here. 

How do we get Comcast to address this issue? I am assuming I am not the only one affected by this. 

I am also surprised that not one of the  Comcast techs and supervisors (4 total that have visited my business location in the last 3 months) suggested that I try disabling the XFINITY WIFI.  I kind of stumbled upon it by accident, having eliminated every other factor. 

I hope this will get someone to re-analyze the impact of XFINITY WIFI. 

Accepted Solution

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

9 years ago

What is the model number of your modem?  I believe that if shutting of the public wifi fixed problems you were having, then that should be considered a defect in the device.   The wifi should not cause this kind of problems - if it does, then the device's CPU is probably being overrun because the CPU is not powerful enough for what the device is designed to do.

As for the moral implications, if you look at it, they are a zero sum.  Yes, the owner is unwittingly giving out service to freeloaders.  Howerver, the owner can also go to a restaurant or hotel or bar or whatever and obtain free service from someone else's wifi signal, and many do.

As to why Comcast is even doing this at all, it's very likely some secret deal between them and the FCC.  The FCC is hell-bent on getting every American online.  They are in particular focused on the poor Americans who claim to not be able to afford monthly Internet service, and have kicked off various initatives to give "free" Internet access to "the poor" including arm-twisting the large ISPs to do so.

I feel pretty confident in saying that Comcast has not, in the past, revealed the real reason they did this, and I am also pretty confident they will not reveal the real reason they are doing this in the future because the FCC won't let them.  The reasons they have stated for doing it are nonsensical and fall apart on technical grounds once you start picking at them.

I would suggest directing your complaints to the FCC, not Comcast.

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

39 Messages

9 years ago

Good morning, I already turned off private wifi in my cisco DPC3939B gateway, and to confirm to other readers: no there is no way for paying customers to disable the public hotspot.

I found no way of manually assigning a different DNS server with DHCP off, and also found it imposible to set up a static route if the LAN address is changed from the default block.

I need a moderator to turn off Xfinity Wifi Public Hotspot for me, but do not know who is available to message my acct# and request.

thank you very much and have a great day everyone.

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

39 Messages

9 years ago

I second train_wreck.

"I am requesting a firmware modification to include local setting to enable/disable PUBLIC WIFI access (xfinitywifi)."

best regards

note: @support: please turn off again, thanks

Accepted Solution

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

9 years ago

Hello aic,

Sorry for the late reply to your request.

All public Wi-Fi function has been disabled.

We apologize for this inconvenience this has cause.

Thank you

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

If you click on the top right-most MORE link, does that bring up any other wifi setting information?

If not, I stand corrected because I know that our administrative login does allow these public settings to be made available. Then simply call 8003913000 and have a technical agent log into the CDG and disable the public  SSID and broadcast mode.

This will get it done. 

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

Nope, "More" just displays help text information for the page. Image shown hereconfigpage2.png

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

@Comcast_John

So are you confirming then that the public WiFi (XFINITY WIFI) can not be disabled by end users through the 10.1.10.1 modem interface?

Someone seemed to suggest otherwise in another post. Something about disabling the "Broadcast SSID" and "WWM Parameters"?

Advocate

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi amitramani. The interface via 10.1.10.1 with lgoin:cusadmin/highspeed does not provide access to the public WiFi screen which is where "Broadcast SSID" and "WWM Parameters" are located.  This functionality is available to Comcast Technicians.

Thank You

Advocate

• 

1.9K Messages

9 years ago

HI aic. Xfinity WiFi has been disabled on the Cisco Gateway.  Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Thank You

Occasional Visitor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

If there is anyone that can turn this off for me on right now please message ASAP!  I can't believe that it is turned on automatically when that wasn't even true as a residential customer AND residential customers have an option in their account settings to turn it off when we do not!