Skip to content
Kenemike's profile

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, June 24th, 2019 7:00 AM

How to route static ip block through router to virtual machines in VMWare.

As a network administrator, I want to route traffic directed to my static ip addresses to virtual machines running on a VLAN using Virtual Switch Tagging.

1. My MTA running on a virtual machine on a VLAN can deliver mail outside of my local network.
  2. My MTA running on a virtual machine can recieve mail from a MTA that is outside of my local network.

Additional information.

I already have a static ip setup to allow a VPN connection to my router and I have done this a couple of ways, both of which work.

Configure my router with a static ip from my static ip block.

Counfigure my router with a local ip and configure my Comcast Business router to use NAT to translate an external ip to my internal router ip.

My problem is that on my LAN, i configured a VLAN that is effectively my DMZ.  From my router, I use NAT to translate an external ip a host on my VLAN and this works fine. However, I can't configure the Comcast Business router to route an external ip to my router. 

External CIDR block: a.b.c.94/29

Comcast Business Router ip: a.b.c.94

Static Block: a.b.c.93 - a.b.c.89

Router WAN ip: a.b.c.93

Router LAN CIDR: w.x.y.z/24

VLAN: 101

VLAN CIDR: h.i.j.k/24

VLAN Gateway: h.i.j.1

With this setup, NAT is configured on internal router so a.b.c.89 translates to h.i.j.100 with no problem from LAN, evidenced via ping. When going outside my network I can't ping  a.b.c.89.  However, I can ping my Comcast Business router at a.b.c.94, and I can ping my internal router at a.b.c.93.  So it seems that I need to route external ips from my Comcast Business router to my internal VLAN host.  I am at a loss on how to do this.

Please advise.

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

128 Messages

5 years ago

Kenemike, static routing instructions via VLAN is outside our demarcation--I recommend you reach out to your local IT to get assistance with this. We can provide steps to set up a static routing rule via LAN with a max of 8 static routes: 

Use the Static Routing setup page on the Gateway to manually add that route.

1. Enter a Name for the router that will make the route easier to remember (has no effect on the static routing function).

2. Enter the Destination IP.

3. Enter the Subnet Mask of the destination IP.

4. Enter your local LAN Gateway IP address (The LAN IP assigned to the router connected to the Comcast commercial gateway).

5. Select Add. The new static route will be added to the static routing table.

6. Repeat steps 1 through 5 to add additional static routes.

7. Select Apply to activate the static routes.

Advocate

• 

1.1K Messages

5 years ago

Good afternoon, Kenemike.

I appreciate you letting us know of the issues going on with your network. You have confirmed that your WAN IP address of 93 is online and pinging so we know the static is loaded correctly. Unfortunately, this would the only troubleshooting Comcast Business would be able to do as confirming the use of your usables would be passed the policy demarcation as these would be used for your personal network/devices. 

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I see that the Comcast Router has the ability configure static routes under the advance section. However, I can’t get it to accept any static route I try to configure. Searching around a bit I found several posts indicating the feature is broken. Can you please confirm if it is broken or not. If it is not broken can you provide an example of how to configure a static route to a host on my VLAN?

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Not between the CB router and my router. I am using NAT from my router to my VLAN.

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

More specifically the NAT functionality on the CB router is 1:1. Also, I can only point it to an IP in its range. That is to say the addresses on my VLAN are not part of the address pool of the CB router. So it does not recognize them.

Official Employee

• 

272 Messages

5 years ago

The feature to set up a static route is not broken, but I can always take a closer look at your account to make sure your modem is online and that your static is loaded correctly. Are you currently trying to use NAT with your static IP?

Official Employee

• 

272 Messages

5 years ago

My thought was, your modem will skip NAT when using a static IP and that will bypass the routing functionality of the modem. It seems like you have this covered as you are using 1:1 rules. I am sorry that additional support beyond this is past our demarcation. For me to check your services you just need to send a private message with your name, address, and phone number so I can make sure your modem looks good. 

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I am not convenced that the static route feature works on the CB router I have not been able to create any static route.  That is 100% failure rate.

Failed, please try again later.
Message: Gateway IP must be reachable. Netmask must match route address.

Can you please provide a set of parameters that you believe should absolutely work?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I'm having the same issue as the original poster, @Kenemike. 

I, too, am trying to add a static route using my Comcast Business router (Model:CGA4332COM). Has anybody had success doing so?

For Comcast reps: I am not looking to buy static IP addresses.

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

@lets_build_a_static_route

thank you for taking the time to reach out to us on our Business forums. Please send us a direct message with your full name, business name, full address, and phone number. By clicking the "direct messaging" icon in the upper right page of our forum page. Once you click on that, input our shared handle (Comcast Business) to send us a private message.

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon in the top right corner

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Comcast Business" there

• - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Comcast Business" from that list

• - An "Comcast Business" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Contributor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Actually,  I tried, but failed, using static routing from the advanced section of the CB router.  This requried the following.

Assumes:

External IP CIDR: a.b.c.e/29 (5 static ip)

CB LAN: i.j.k.0/24

VLAN CIDR: w.x.y.z/29

Enable DHCP for the LAN on CB Router.

Assign Static IP to my router on the LAN: i.j.k.100 255.255.255.0

Create a static route to my internal network:

Name: Foo

Destination IP: w.x.y.0

Destiniation Subnet: 255.255.255.248

Gateway IP: i.j.k.100

Create a NAT rule for each Virtual Machine on my VLAN that needs an exposed IP on the a.b.c.e/29 block.