Skip to content
Nectar_Nashville's profile

• 

1 Message

Monday, February 24th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

Mystery BROADCOM_GUEST WiFi Networks

Hello.  My Comcast Business Router is a Technicolor CGA4131.  I have Gigabit service.  In addition to the usual 2.4 and 5GHz networks this router broadcasts, it is somehow broadcasting six additional open WiFi networks - perhaps three 2.4 and three 5GHz networks.  Although I do utilize an Orbi WiFi6 network, and have security cameras and other gadgets, we have done extensive troubleshooting and have found that these networks remain visible until the router is powered off.  All of these networks appear in our WiFi list as "BROADCOM_GUEST_0_3" (different numbers at the end).  I have located an online manual from Tecnhicolor, which actually shows (Page 64) three 2.4GHz guest networks (and one can presume three 5GHz networks), with a toggle to disable SSID Broadcast.  However, the advice is to possibly access this separate admin portal through 192.168.0.1, which is useless in this case.  The manual can be viewed here:  https://mediacomcc.custhelp.com/euf/assets/documents/modem%20user%20guides/CGA4131_user_guide.pdf

I am curious to know if anyone else has come across this, and can offer a solution for disabling these networks?  My support chat was useless.  Thank you very much.

Problem solver

• 

348 Messages

4 years ago

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to the Digital Care Team here through the forums. We are so sorry to see that you are having issues with your wifi networks. You have reached the right team to help get this taken care of. Can you please send us a private message with your name, the phone/account number, and the full address to the account? 

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Also having this issue at my location. Can you please assist?  

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Yes, I am having the same issue. Can you assist me as well?

Official Employee

• 

45 Messages

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to the Digital Care Team here through the forums. We are so sorry to see that you are also experiencing these issues with your wifi networks. Rest assured, you have reached the right team to help get this taken care of. Can you please send us a private message with your name, the phone/account number, and the full address to the account to further assist?

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I am also having this problem.  I called tech support.  Now that a tier 2 agent got back to me, I am being told this is NOT Comcast's doing nor their router.  This feels very sketchy.  I would like some help getting to the bottom of this.

Official Employee

• 

34 Messages

Greetings, @hippolips! I hope your week has been treating you well. Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your busy day to leave a post on our community forum. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your router, but you have definitely come to the right place for assistance.

I would like to review the notes from our Tier 2 agent, to see if there was anything else we can do to assist you with this. If you could send our team a private message with your full name, the business name listed on the account, and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you.

To send a Private Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat.

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I am also having this problem. It showed up as soon as my business class internet was installed so I have a hard time believing it is not coming from their router. I would like some help as well as this is a security issue.

Official Employee

• 

49 Messages

Hello @ Please follow the instructions above to start a private message so I can assist further. 

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

@Comcast_JamesH
Thanks for the response.  I'm not seeing a user or way to specifically Private Message 'Xfinity Support'.  The instructions were helpful but I was still unable to figure out how to make it happen.

Just to be helpful to others...  Here is what it looks like for me.

Problem solver

• 

17 Messages

Thanks for letting us know @hippolips. Can you do me a favor and try navigating to the chat/message icon at the top of page again? Just to be clear, to send a Live Chat, click the Peer to Peer chat icon at the top right of the page and enter "Comcast Business" in the "To" section of the chat. Let me know if that works.

I no longer actively support the Comcast Business Forum or work for Comcast. 

New Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

since there are no direction as to how to fix the problems this is not a very helpful post!  Comcast this is definitly coming from the comcast equipment...what is the fix?

Official Employee

• 

87 Messages

Hello and thank you for reaching out to us here on our Business forums. I'm truly sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this issue. We would love to further assist you and take a look at what's happening with your Wi-Fi networks! Please use the above directions to send us a private chat message so we can better assist you.

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

So there is still no answer or  follow up to this. Someone supposedly opened a ticket for me, but that was three days ago now and I have not heard anything. This is a security issue that should take more precedence on a business class internet. I have a worker dealing with hippa and a breach would be awful. This is unacceptable.

Official Employee

• 

34 Messages

Hey @user_fa9b53. I can completely understand your frustration with this. We did send you a private message to follow up on this a couple of days ago but haven't heard back yet. We're still here to help and want to ensure this is resolved for you! Please meet us back in a private message and we'll be able to look into this further for you.

New Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Same here with the Broadcom_Guest - new business service installed on Wednesday. 6 open networks.

Trusted Forum Contributor

• 

57 Messages

Hello there, @user_900d39. We'd love to help, and look into this for you!

To send a private message, please click on the chat icon on the top right next to the bell. Please make sure to send the message to our singular handle "Comcast Business" and we will get back to you ASAP.

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hello Comcast, I have just had business service installed and I also need the 6 guest networks to stop broadcasting.  This appears to be a simple configuration change, yet I do not appear to have direct access to the main Technicolor user interface.

Official Employee

• 

49 Messages

Hello @user_71d033 and thank you! I really appreciate you being a member of the Comcast Family! Please send a private message with your name and service address by clicking on the chat icon at the top right of the page. Then select the Xfinity Support tab to start the chat session.

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hi Thomas, when I try to add your name to the chat, it says your name is not found.

Official Employee

• 

49 Messages

@user_71d033 You'll want to type in Xfinity Support instead of searching for my name. This should start the chat session. 

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hi Thomas,

Xfinity Support is also not found and will not allow me to initiate a chat.  

Official Employee

• 

23 Messages

Thank you very much for your patience while you try to send us a private message with your information. Just to make sure we have provided you with the correct steps I want to share this:

"To send a "Peer to peer" / "Private chat message" message to "Comcast Business": Click "Sign In" if necessary Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon or https://comca.st/3ysInOH Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Comcast Business" there - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Comcast Business" from that list - An "Comcast Business" graphic replaces the "To:" line Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window Press Enter to send it"

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Same Issue here, we have 2 comcast business modems and they are both displaying broadcom wireless networks. 

BROADCOM_GUEST_0_3

BROADCOM_GUEST_0_5

BROADCOM_GUEST_0_6

BROADCOM_GUEST_1_3

BROADCOM_GUEST_1_5

BROADCOM_GUEST_1_6

Has there been a solution to resolve this issue and stop them from broadcasting these networks?

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Hi, Our Comcast Business Gateway is also broadcasting the following two wifi signals we want turned off:

BROADCOM-GUEST_0_3

BROADCOM-GUEST_1_3.

I did a support chat with Comcast Business today.  The chat rep was no help.  He kept trying to figure out what other equipment or other other account was broadcasting the signal.  He would not trust/believe me that the signal is coming from our Comcast Business Gateway.

He eventually escalated our ticket CR975068872 to Tier 2, but I am not optimistic that Comcast will help fix this anytime soon.,

Has anyone found a solution?  Why won't Comcast just explain the problem and solution on this forum?  It seems like they don't want the solution, if there is one, to be made public.  

New Contributor

• 

23 Messages

@klewis36e328 same problem and same dead end with support. they have a modem that none of the employees has a clue about. The guest network configuration is available in the technicolor modem, but not in comcast version. Tier 2 is useless because they will never call you back. I anticipate a bot response to this telling me to private message so that I can start the whole nightmare again.

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I sent a message to comcast using the peer-to-peer chat above to comcast business using the instructions provided by Comcast_PeterH above after speaking with them they attempted to troubleshoot but were unable and forwarded it to a Tier 2 tech. I was contacted by John assuming he is a tier 2 support and he was able to disable all the WIFI radios and now the Broadcom WIFI's are no longer appearing. I am not sure why comcast needs to disable these and we are not able but this has resolved the broadcom_guest issue for us thank you.

Official Employee

• 

25 Messages

Thanks for the reply, and sharing the information that led to the resolution of this issue! Glad to hear you were contacted by our support team, and taken care of! 

Thank you for participating in our Community Forum! 

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

Good morning Jameson, I hope you had a good nights rest. I wanted to follow up with you as I see you spoke to someone in our Tier 2 Support team and had these issues resolved, correct? 

I no longer work for Comcast.