IPV6

Prefix Delegation w/ CGA4131COM working?

RobBanz
Visitor

Prefix Delegation w/ CGA4131COM working?

My previous gateway was just swapped out due to connectivity issues, and I can't seem to get prefix delegation working quite right on the new box.

I'm running pfsense as my router. I seem to be getting correctly delegated prefixes from the gateway via dhcp6. Digging around with tcpdump I see the CGA4131COM isn't routing those delegated prefixes back through the IP they were delegated to, but is sending out neighbor solicitations looking for 

[removed customer-specific IP information in public forum thread]

Official Employee

Re: Prefix Delegation w/ CGA4131COM working?

Thanks so much for reaching out about this, RobBanz. As a heads up, I removed the IP address et al in this public thread, but I have it noted on my side here. I can look into the prefix delegation issue and check a few things in our system if you want to send over a private message. To do that, you'll just click on my name and send it with your name, the business name, the complete service address (including city, state, ZIP, suite number, etc), and the phone or account number. 

jblackett
Occasional Visitor

Did you ever get this working? I am having the exact same issue with my EdgeRouter connected to the CGA4131COM.
Official Employee

Hi there, can you please send a private message with your name, the full address, and [hone number? 

jblackett
Occasional Visitor

Just a heads up that I worked with Comcast support and they were never able to get this working. We replaced the gateway with the DPC3941B business wireless gateway and everything started working right away. So if you're having issues with the Techniclor swap it out.

Official Employee

Thanks for that info. The tech should be reporting the issue to his supervisor and keeping a record of nonworking devices for that same scenario. I've seen that model work with Sonic walls with no issue and, other Edge routers to be honest so, I'm not too sure it's the model but, I appreciate the feedback and follow up on the recent service visit. If you need assistance in the future, feel free to reach out again. Thanks for choosing Comcast and have a great holiday weekend.

ITGrouch
Visitor

I have a DPC3941B and I cannot get prefix delegation working with it. I first tried pfSense, but I have read countless posts that the only way to get prefix delegation working is to have Comcast replace my gateway with a Netgear CG3000DCR (I submitted a service request to Comcast to have the DCP3941B replaced with the CG3000DCR) or purchase an EdgeRouter. I went ahead and purchased an EdgeRouter.  I have spent hours and hours working on this. Any basic information you could provide on how you got prefix delegation working with the DPC3941B would be greatly appreciated. 

Official Employee

I sincerely appreciate the additional details and all the information you have provided us. I am sorry you are still having trouble with prefix delegation but I will be happy to do all I can to help. If you can send a private message, I can access your account and assist you further. If possible, can you please include your full-service address, account number, and your name as it appears on your account? 

jblackett
Occasional Visitor

Once they brought the DPC3941B everything just started working with the same config as the CGA box. Here's my configuration:

Config Tree:

interfaces > ethernet > eth9 (this my internet port) > dhcpv6-pd > rapid-commit = disable

interfaces > ethernet > eth9 (this my internet port) > dhcpv6-pd > pd > 0 > prefix-length = 59

interfaces > ethernet > eth9 (this my internet port) > dhcpv6-pd > pd > 0 > interface > switch0 (one of my LAN nets) > host-address = ::1

interfaces > ethernet > eth9 (this my internet port) > dhcpv6-pd > pd > 0 > interface > switch0 (one of my LAN nets) > prefix-id:1

interfaces > ethernet > eth9 (this my internet port) > dhcpv6-pd > pd > 0 > interface > switch0 (one of my LAN nets) > service=slaac

interfaces > ethernet > eth9 (this my internet port) > dhcpv6-pd > pd > 0 > interface > eth7 (one of my WIFI nets) > host-address = ::1

interfaces > ethernet > eth9 (this my internet port) > dhcpv6-pd > pd > 0 > interface > eth7 (one of my WIFI nets) > prefix-id:2

interfaces > ethernet > eth9 (this my internet port) > dhcpv6-pd > pd > 0 > interface > eth7 (one of my WIFI nets) > service=slaac

interfaces > ethernet > eth9 (this my internet port) > firewall > in > ipv6-name = WANv6_IN

interfaces > switch > switch0 > ipv6 > router-advert > prefix = ::/64

interfaces > ethernet > eth7 > ipv6 > router-advert > prefix = ::/64

Hope that helps.

Jason

ITGrouch
Visitor

Jason,

Thanks for spending the time posting your configuration. This will get me pointed in the right direction. I got an email from Comcast Business that they are sending out a technician tomorrow to replace the 3941B with a Netgear CG3000DCR as I requested from tech support last week. I already have Cisco Wi-Fi access points, so I do not need a Wi-Fi business gateway. I will follow up once I get the CG3000DCR and the router setup.

Richard