I have the same issue discussed in this thread. 50% reduction of upload capacity in our 100/20 connection (the reduction seems to be worse on the weekends though).
Checked diagnostics and we also have only two upstream channels. What's the proper procedure to open a ticket to get the upstream channels examined?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Here are the diags
Upstream Channel Upstream Frequency 29499493 Hz 22599444 Hz Lock Status Locked Locked Modulation 64QAM 64QAM Symbol Rate 5120 KSym/sec 5120 KSym/sec Upstream Power 40.0000 dBmV 39.0000 dBmV Channel ID 42 43
Technically two upstream channels is enough for your upload bandwidth. I'd personally expect more, but depending on your area it could be normal.
To start off, I'd recommend viewing this topic and posting the information listed there.
After reviewing the troubleshooting link you suggested here are some updates:
1. Modem is a SMC Networks D3G, it was installed roughly a year ago.
2. Power cycled the modem on Sunday. Didn't make a difference.
3. Over the weekend was seeing speedtest results in the 90/6 to 100/8 range (it seemed to be worse around noon and the early afternoon on both days). Neighbor activity affecting bandwidth potentially???
4. During the week, it seems pretty solid at 110/~10. Note: speed tests performed at multiple times throughout the day so its a rough average.
5. Will have to check the line for splitters etc. and also connect directly to the modem bypassing the router and post those results later.
Thanks for the update! Are you able to grab your signal levels while the connection is working properly and then when it goes downhill?
I can't replicate speeds below 9mbs during the week, but if it happens again this weekend, I'll capture the diags and post.
Downstream and upstream diags under normal conditions:
Downstream Channel Downstream Frequency 674.998047 MHz 680.999268 MHz 687.000610 MHz 693.001831 MHz Lock Status Locked Locked Locked Locked Modulation 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM Symbol Rate 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec Downstream Power 7.309095 dBmV 7.389501 dBmV 7.424692 dBmV 7.367719 dBmV SNR 37.355988 dB 37.935909 dB 37.935909 dB 38.257755 dB Upstream Channel Upstream Frequency 29499493 Hz 22599444 Hz Lock Status Locked Locked Modulation 64QAM 64QAM Symbol Rate 5120 KSym/sec 5120 KSym/sec Upstream Power 40.0000 dBmV 39.0000 dBmV Channel ID 42 43
Couple of updates.
At this point, I believe I've gone through all the recommended investigation items. We still have a hard cap of 50% of what the line should be provisioned for (and at one point provided).
There is an additional data point. About 18 months ago, we switched over to the SMC modem. We definitely used to get 20mbps but I can't remember if that was with the SMC D3G modem or the previous modem.
Another thing I noticed yesterday. speedtest.net & the comcast variant of speedtest said our upload capacity was roughly 9mbps. However, I noticed that youtube and several other sites between 11-3PM EST were nowhere near that capacity (more like 3-4mbps). We need 4-5mbps to upload our live stream of the service. After 3PM, uploads to youtube picked up to about 9/10mbps (which matched speedtest capacity).
I've now switched over to testmy.net for hourly speed tests to see if that correlates more closely with the actual upload performance I'm seeing.
With the XFinity speed tests uploads are capping out at 6mbps Sunday afternoon (6pm EST) and Downloads are 100mbps (typically 110-115mbps). Below are the diags when this happened. Router indicates no other upload or download activities are taking place
Downstream Channel Downstream Frequency 674.998047 MHz 680.999268 MHz 687.000610 MHz 693.001831 MHz Lock Status Locked Locked Locked Locked Modulation 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM 256 QAM Symbol Rate 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec 5.360537Msym/sec Downstream Power 6.395317 dBmV 6.325997 dBmV 6.503378 dBmV 6.440234 dBmV SNR 37.355988 dB 37.636276 dB 37.935909 dB 38.257755 dB Upstream Channel Upstream Frequency 29499546 Hz 22599554 Hz Lock Status Locked Locked Modulation 64QAM 64QAM Symbol Rate 5120 KSym/sec 5120 KSym/sec Upstream Power 40.2500 dBmV 39.0000 dBmV Channel ID 42 43
I was looking over your logs and see that the modem has not been rebooted since prior to the original post. Resetting the modem alonse may not have anything to do with resolution but the thought of a factory reset followed by reloading your IP config, might resolve the issue. Would you message me with the times you have free for me to move forward with this option.
I did reboot the modem (along with the router and any other equipment that's involved) about ~10 days ago (just prior to doing these tests), but I'd be happy to reboot it again or other tests as requested. I will message you to continue the investigation.
Things seem to be working as expected now. We were able to stream our services to youtube no problem today (first time in two months). After factory reset, diags indicated three upload channels. Uploads did vary between 14-20mbps (Thursday). Last two days, uploads have been very consistly between 22-23mbps.
I would like to keep this thread open for one week to confirm this isn't an anomoly and we can stream our services cleanly next week. If so, will then consider it closed.