Skip to content
Brackit's profile

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, December 8th, 2015 9:00 AM

Is it possible to have two modems?

Hello,

I was wondering if it were possible to have two modems for my internet? For two different rooms.

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello Brackit and welcome,

Yes you can have multiple Comcast Internet circuits (Comcast Gateways) at your business. You will need to contact the business sales department to add another circuit to your physical location and this will be a separate Internet service charge per month.

Hope this helps you out.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

9 years ago

As Rich states, it is possible to have 2 modems on your account, provided you are willing to pay separate charges for both of them.

I would ask why do you want to do this? Are you simply trying to have internet access in both rooms? If so, then there are better (and cheaper) ways of going about that, such as a wireless router/range extender or MoCA-to-ethernet adapters.

Accepted Solution

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

To be honest you can pick up a Docsis 3.1 cable modem up for less than $80. which is cheaper then a lot of sub par quality wifi extenders and not to mention you can get a wired connection without a really long ethernet cable going multiple floors or through the house. If you purchase one outright you do not have to pay the monthly charges either.

Accepted Solution

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I use two modems at home. One the comcast provided brick and the other a seperately purchased one for personal use (as comcast modems are the worst when it comes to allowing and saving port forwards).

Both are one the same SINGLE internet plan. Just wanted to clear some confusion.

All you have to do when you have the second one is, connect to it with it all wired up and look up the comcast activate your own device/modem. You input the mac address or something similar and then they both work.

Accepted Solution

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

The difference is _each_ modem gets the full amount of bandwidth. It's like having twice as much bandwidth. If one modem is bottlenecked, the other modem isn't effected.

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

8 years ago

Most internet users use a Comcast wired modem, like SMCD3G or Netgear CG3000, then connect a standard wireless modem for interconnection into the other room. Typically wireless modems have wave proximity distribution of about 200 feet. Now if you need separate Comcast Internet service in each of the two rooms, then you can have a dedicated internet circuit in both rooms. Lastly, if you are considering not paying the Comcast equipment fee, then you can check out http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net , use drag the business internet blue ball to your internet speed, then look below to see the supported customer owned modems.

Hope this helps you out.

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

9 years ago

You have to have a really long cable going through the house so what exactly is the difference?