New problem solver
DPC3939B reset button was ineffectual
The following sequence of events isn't making sense to me
- Discovered that my custom password on the DPC3939B gateway did not work.
- Decided to try to reset to factory settings using the reset button.
- Tried the reset button (following exactly instructions from the Cisco PDF file) and the factory default password didn't work.
- Repeated the reset button procedure. Still no go.
THEN, I read a hint on these forums that ,DPC3939B may be rejecting login even with correct password, because I was passing through my VPN appliance (which is between my LAN and DPC3939B). It is said to be a security feature. So...
- Removed my VPN appliance from the picture, gave my PC a static address, and declared a gateway address corrsponding to DPC3939B.
- Connected PC directly to DPC3939B.
- Success. I was able to login.
BUT... but... when I was able to login, I was NOT using the default password, it was using my secret password that I had tried to get rid of. The default password still did not work. Recall that I had operated the reset button. Twice.
My point being, the reset button did NOT reset the password. Beyond any doubt, I followed instructions and the DPC3939B did restart on its own both times. So what is going on?