Skip to content
gemiller's profile

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, December 9th, 2015 10:00 AM

Setting up Static Routing?

Our company made the switch from verizon to comcast this week and I am migrating the equipment over. I can't get the static routing to work for the life of myself. I was using "1:1 Static Nat" configuration panel in the old verizon equipment, there seems to be no parallel to make it work for me on the comcast gateway.

What I need is relatively simply (in my opinion)

All incoming traffic to xx.xx.xx.xx (comcast fixed ip address) goes to 10.1.10.x. The server has to maintain it's internal ip address that matches the nomenclature that exists internally for the one estimation software to work with the workstations so I was using the static routing from the verizon box to get vpn traffic to connect over pptp.

The NAT 1:1 seems to translate the way the machine appears to the world to that IP address but doesn't change the incoming routing. Static Routing gives me a generic error "Something wrong, please try later!" regardless what configuration I try to input. A google search found i'm not the first person to run in to this issue. The best I could find was someone saying it's a firmware issue in the comcast gateway.

What configuration method do I need to use to static route all incoming traffic to a static ip to an internal ip on the comcast gateway? It was relatively straightforward on my verizon gateway.

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Maybe i'm mis-interpreting your instructions but that didn't seem to get me anywhere for external to internal static routing.

I've set the DHCP server start range to match what you described (although using the fixed IP to overcome the DHCP server already i'm not sure what this is doing for me). Going into static routing and trying to set a static route from "External Fixed IP from Comcast" to a "Fixed Internal IP" still does nothing, it just simply doesn't do anything. I'm still out my companies VPN connection to the server and I need this to work.

Your description appears to be a more permanent solution to an internal fixed IP, but that doesn't solve my static routing issue. My workstation laptops need to be able to see the server from outside the network through a static route, but it doesn't work for me.

Thanks.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello gemiller and welcome,

If you are in need to setup Static Local Routing Addressing for multiple devices that need this there is a simple means to implement this as follows:

1. Log into your Comcast Gateway (CG) using an ethernet  interconnected computer via a browser address = 10.1.10.1 username=cusadmin, password=highspeed

2. The click on Lan (or Lan Status for DPC39XXB CG) then make sure your DHCP Server start address is set to 10.1.10.10 click apply or save. This is the start address of your dynamic address range and the end address is the last dydnamic range.

Now this provides you with Static Local Addresses for 8 devices with the range of 10.1.10.2 through 10.1.10.9. If you program any of these 8 devices to use any of these 8 addresses and they are physically connected to one of more (via Hub or switch)  CG LANPorts 1-4, this will enable you to have permanent local addresses for these devices.

Lastly, if you need remote access or application port data transactions you can then use the top level standard local Port forwarding to open any ports on any device by specific static local address. For instance, if you needed to open port 1000 on device static local address 10.1.10.5 your click on FW (or Advanced for DPC39XXB CG) then port forward and enter something like Port1000 1000:1000  1000:1000 Both 10.1.10.5.

Hope this helps you out.

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

we have the exact same problem