Skip to content
TimRiker's profile

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, November 16th, 2021 8:40 PM

Request RFC-2317 delegation

How do I request RFC 2317 delegation?

Chatting with business support only offers a single PTR record for any of my static IPs which is NOT what I want.

Calling Business support wants to reset my modem which has NOTHING to do with the request.

New problem solver

• 

25 Messages

3 years ago

This is apparently something they no longer do. I personally had a proper delegation set up a few years ago and when I migrated my secondary dns to another provider and asked for an update, it just, y'kno... up and disappeared.  and after taking a few stabs at trying to get it set back up again, it's clear that for now, the best you can hope for is contacting support anytime you need to update the PTR records.

I'm kinda bitter about it but not so bitter that I'm willing to migrate my whole operation to AWS or something.  It's not ideal by any means for those of us who actually have a good understanding of how DNS is supposted to work, but at least they still seem willing to set up custom PTR records.

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

That's fine for a few IPv4 static addresses, but what about the IPv6 space? Is there someone that can setup PTR delegation for that?

New problem solver

• 

25 Messages

3 years ago

Arguably that would be even easier than IPv4 delegation on account of Comcast assigning us entire /56 and/or /64 subnets.. just add a few NS records in the appropriate zones and BAM.. but, alas, no...  I'm not entirely sure I was ever able to get PTR records on the v6 side of things either after I lost my delegation, but I'll find out soon enough... I just migrated to a different set of subnets myself and have an outstanding PTR request ticket for both v4 and v6 records so.... I suppose we'll see. 

Apparently, short of calling the support number, the best way to go is up to the direct messaging and send a message to "Comcast Business" and they'll confirm account details and get a ticket submitted to whatever team can push the updates.

I still think this is less than ideal for those of us that understand the inner workings of DNS and everything that relies on it, but for the moment, this is where we're at.. and even having the ability to get PTR records updated is better than nothing at all.

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I wonder if @Comcast Business reads these posts and would reply here?

Official Employee

• 

63 Messages

Hey there, @TimRiker, thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Business Forums! We would be happy to help with your PTR request and we are here to help! Please send us a private message with your name, business name, and service address to "Comcast Business" by clicking on the chat icon at the top right of the page.