Skip to content
Joel_williams's profile

• 

1 Message

Saturday, March 21st, 2015 10:00 AM

New to Static IPs

Hello, I am new to having multiple IP addresses and simply want to know how to give my work computer one WAN IP address and the rest of the stuff connected to the gateway another WAN IP address ... [snip]

EDIT: I think I understand now that I don't need to change anything on the Gateway setup. I was able to successfully configure one of my static IP's to my work computer. But I think I have another problem.

I read on another forum that If I assign the public IP directly to the computer, I've basically removed any kind of firewall protection the gateway/router provides. Does that sound correct? And the solution to this would basically be to plug a router into the gateway, assign the public IP to that router instead, and then plug the work computer into the router?

Any advice is appreciated.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello Joel_williams and welcome,

If you have purchased and are using 1,5, or 13 block staticIP(s) then you should not have any security issues at all. Please see my comments to your ? below.

'  I read on another forum that If I assign the public IP directly to the computer, I've basically removed any kind of firewall protection the gateway/router provides. Does that sound correct?

If you are referring to NATTing a public address to one of your computer's private address, this could definitely be a hacker's delight. However, if you are using a 1,5, or 13 block static IP for a computer, then you can simply log into the Comcast Gateway (CG) by connecting computer using a Enet cable directly to one of the LanPorts 1-4 on the rear, then bring up a browser type in 10.1.10.1, username=cusadmin, password=highspeed. Now for SMC or NG3K CG, click on Firewall and for DPC GW, click on advanced, then click on Static IP Port Management and this is where you can lock down the security of any 1,5, or 13 block static IP device by blocking all ports except the only ones you need open for your application. 

And the solution to this would basically be to plug a router into the gateway, assign the public IP to that router instead, and then plug the work computer into the router?"

This using another router is a more complex and least cost effective way to go, imho. If you have a SMC or NG3K CG, then using a wireless router for wifi makes perfect sense. However, whether you are using the CG internat DHCP Servicer or the Wireless Router's DHCP server, you can ONLY gain access to either if these devices via your internal intranetwork, unless of course, you specifically open ports on specific computers for applcation internetwork purposes. 

Hope this helps you out.