Skip to content
Bradipo's profile

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

Monday, August 5th, 2019 7:00 AM

How to get /28 routed like a business class L3 IP Service?

Hello,

I've been trying to work with Comcast Support on getting the /28 allocated to my company to be routed to my equipment and it's like I'm talking a different language.  It is customary for IP services to be routed to CPE via a small /30 where the ISPs router and the CPE share 2 IPs and then the /28 is routed to the CPE, however, either due to incompetence or lack of interest, I have been unable to get Comcast to route the /28 to my CPE.  Is there anything that can be done?  Do I need a different modem/router from Comcast?  Do I need a different ISP?  I am an experienced network administrator and have never had a problem with any ISP setting up correct L3 routes for delivering customer rented IP blocks to CPE.

Thanks,

Bradipo

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

526 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks so much for all of the details. It sounds like you have a small business account with us. As such your static IPs will not work in bridge mode. Your modem does have this capability. With static Ip's we doe set the modem in a passthrough mode and you will then program your useable static IP's to your external devices for use. I can review the account and ensure that the passthrough is set up correctly and the static's are provisioned correctly on the modem if you could supply the account information through private message to protect the security of your account. 

Advocate

• 

1.1K Messages

5 years ago

Good morning, Bradipo and welcome to the business forums.

I appreciate you posting today on your question on static allocations. Comcast does have /30, /29, and /28 allocations available for business customers to subscribe to; however, we only allow one allocation to an account at a time. The leased gateway will only accept on allocation as we are not able to load both blocks on to the equipment. One active gateway would be allowed on a business account. I can certainly review your account to see what block you currently have. May I please have you private message me your full name, the name of your business, the full address of your business location and the phone number associated with your business account? 

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, I know that Comcast has /30, /29, and /28 allocations.  I'm not asking about block allocations are available, nor am I asking for multiple allocations; I'm requesting that Comcast route the /28 allocation in my account to my router.  It is currently being routed to the Comcast modem which does no good for proper L3 routing to CPE.

If the leased gateway (technicolor DPC3941) cannot do proper L3 routing, then how do I go about replacing it?  Or can I switch it to bridge mode so that my router (aka CPE) can get the allocated /28 routed to it?  Or is it impossible to get a proper L3 route to my router for the /28 allocation?

I see that Comcast EDI customers are given proper L3 IP services:

https://business.comcast.com/help-and-support/ethernet/comcast-business-ethernet-equipment-configuration/

Are you claiming that Comcast Business cannot deliver business class IP services in this fashion to a business customer?

I was even able to get proper L3 routing accomplished with cheap and low bandwidth DSL from other ISPs and just residential service, so I'm confused why such a common setup is so difficult to accomplish with Comcast Business.

As for my account information, I will contact you privately if you have the power to effect positive change towards getting a proper L3 route in place so that the /28 is routed to CPE.

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

This problem has not been solved.  I'm not sure why it is marked as solved because I still don't have proper L3 routing to my equipment.  The L3 routing is to the modem, not my equipment.