Skip to content
PDX_LabCoat's profile

New Contributor

• 

6 Messages

Tue, Jul 28, 2020 4:00 PM

Disable Security Edge

Hello,

I need help disabling Security Edge on my account. It hijacks DNS requests, no matter what DNS server you are using.

nslookup google.com 4.3.8.5
Server:		4.3.8.5
Address:	4.3.8.5#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	google.com
Address: 172.217.6.46

As you can see, 4.3.8.5 is NOT a real DNS server, but instead hijacked by the Security Edge DNS servers and resolves queries. We cannot and do NOT want this on our network. We do testing that relies on an IP actually being a nameserver, and some software requires it to fail if a device uses an invalid DNS server.

At this point, my only option is to change providers if Security Edge cannot be disabled. I have went to the Security Edge portal and disabled all that I could, but this does not prevent the DNS hijacking that's going on. I understand what Security Edge does, but it is not needed on our system, as we have our own internal firewalls and devices that manage all of our IPS/IDS.

Thank you for your help!

New Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 m ago

SecurityEdge is poorly implemented and an embarrassment for Comcast. Our website is blocked and Comcast has no way of removing our website from the SecurityEdge blacklist. Sometimes they tell me it's Akamai's fault, so I escalated to the Akamai account rep for Comcast and they just shook their head.

Our website didn't even have any vulnerabilities, we were doing a http redirect to our homepage that had an old javascript library. They're not blocking that website, just the one that was forwarding. And now ay to remove. Who needs this kind of hamhanded security implementation? And to hijack DNS is definitely not the way to solve these kinds of problems.

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 m ago

I have always had excellent service from Comcast Business until this Security Edge garbage showed up.  The are willing to remove it but only if we renegotiate a much more expensive contract.

So let's call this what it is:  Comcast is almost certainly harvesting DNS lookup data and using the analytics to sell or use marketing data.   We bought CC Business exactly to avoid this garbage.  All we want is a fast, low latency data pipe, not Big Brother inspecting our packets.  It's obnoxious.

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

@netwiz100​ I was able to get them to remove it by talking with Level 2 Support.  Just tell them you need Level 2 Support.  We did not have to renegotiate.  And if they tried to push it, we were willing to walk. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

It looks like the hair on the back of my neck is on the money! Comcast Business has installed their used second-hand gateway into my new office and refused to activate my expensive Oribi system and I encountered this edge security pollywoggle - I have not configured or set it up - I will set the gateway to bridge mode so it disabled the edge security and add my own Netgear wifi, next I will demand they remove the 3 day old Edge