Skip to content
W

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, October 4th, 2022 11:33 PM

Connection dropouts and appropriate router settings

All,

I'm hoping you can give me some pointers on maintaining a reliable internet connection. I've been getting tons of connection dropouts, and I'm not sure what my problem is. I had a service technician replace our modem a couple of days ago, but I'm still getting tons of dropouts. Unfortunately, the phone tech support has not been helpful--the connection comes back online in the middle of the call without them doing anything, which causes them to say that the problem has been solved.

My setup at home is a Comcast Business provided CGA modem, which operates in bridge mode. The modem is connected to my personal router through ethernet, the router is a RT-AX86S. I have a couple of switches feeding off the router, as well as a couple of devices that are connected directly into the router. My setup hasn't changed at all since I started having the dropouts, and I have had fairly stable internet up to the point of the recent dropouts.

Has there been any required changes I need to make in the router configuration that will prevent the dropouts? I noticed that my DHCP leases on my WAN seem short (1-2 hours), but I wasn't really looking at it before the dropouts. I'm also not sure if switching to an IPv6 WAN would help (right now it's disabled on my router). Any thoughts? My most recent change has been switching from advanced bridge mode to basic bridge mode on the modem.

Thanks

-Dan

Official Employee

• 

21 Messages

2 years ago

Hi there and welcome to Comcast! Thank you so much for reaching out to us about your internet issues. You are in the right place, and I am happy to assist you today. If you disconnect your router, and just use the Xfinity modem. Are you experiencing the same issue? 

• 

4 Messages

@Comcast_Roberto​ Yes, that's correct--I did try plugging a computer directly into the modem. It took about 20 minutes before it started working, so I'm guessing that the computer had nothing to do with it, and the fix was something random.

Official Employee

• 

21 Messages

2 years ago

We would like to take a look at your account and see what we can do to resolved this for you. Have you had a tech go out and look at your connection?

• 

4 Messages

@Comcast_Roberto​ Yeah. I called Comcast twice today--the first tech just made a note of it, since it started working again while I was on the phone with him. The second tech took a much deeper dive into the diagnostics, but admitted she couldn't do anything since it too started working right before I was connected with her from being on hold. She did note that there were "upstream issues," but admitted that a tech would need to be out there when the problem was actually happening to diagnose it (and the problem seems sporadic at this point).

Poking around on the internet, I did see recommendations to change my Asus router from aggressive DHCP to normal DHCP, with some implying that maybe that's the cause for the problems (being temporarily blocked for doing too many DHCP queries)--that's why I was wondering if there were other settings in my router I should be configuring.

Edit: Oops--reading your message more carefully, I think you were asking about a tech in person. We had someone come out on Saturday replace our modem, as we thought that might be the issue. I'm not sure if he checked the lines or not--one of the phone tech support people just said his report said that he replaced the modem. He had said he was going to check the lines, but perhaps he didn't write down the results of that work.

(edited)

New problem solver

• 

5 Messages

Thank you for that information. Please send us a direct message with your full name, business name, full address, and last four digits of your account number or full phone number.

• Click "Sign In" if necessary 
• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon in the top right corner
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon 
• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Comcast Business" there 
• - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Comcast Business" from that list 
• - An "Comcast Business" graphic replaces the "To:" line 
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window 
• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

• 

4 Messages

Ok, direct message sent!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Was this issue ever resolved? I have a very similar setup and I’m having the same issue.