Skip to content
tomiii's profile

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, November 24th, 2014 10:00 AM

Reverse DNS delegation (RFC2317): Tech support never heard of it?

I have a /29 on a Comcast Business account. I'm trying to get rDNS delegated to my servers so I can control how these addresses resolve. In other words, I want what RFC2317 describes. If Comcast had some kind of web portal available where I could edit PTRs myself, I guess I could probably live with that. But they don't. 😞

It's clear from other posts in this forum that Comcast already provides rDNS delegation for other customers. However, every time I call Comcast technical support nobody seems to understand what I'm asking. In fact, after speaking to at least 12 different people during 5 different phone calls, I was unable to find a single person who knows what RFC means. I submitted a ticket for "RFC2317 classless delegation" (and asked for that specific phrase to be included in the ticket) and waited almost week for a response. Today I called back to discover the ticket had been immediately closed as invalid without anyone ever contacting me. That person suggested I could only get rDNS delegation if I'm a large enterprise customer with fiber service. What?!

What is the correct procedure for getting reverse DNS delegated to my nameservers? Clearly, calling Comcast support is not the way to get this accomplished.

Thanks,

Tom.III

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi tomiii. I apologize for the problems you've encountered with this process. In order to have your /29 IP scope delegated to your name servers it is necessary to contact the Enterprise Support Center @ 1-800-741-4141 and select the option for Metre-E. As customer account CPNI is required to make this change and the technician is required to verify the information directly with the customer per Comcast policy. 

Thank you

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I have done that several times already. Every time I call 800-741-4141, the folks there tell me they only deal with enterprise customers who subscribe to fiber service. They immediately transfer me to 800-391-3000 because I do not have fiber service. I have Comcast Business service that comes in over coax. The folks at 800-391-3000 barely know what PTR records are and they have no idea what delegation means.

It seems I'm stuck between people on the phone who have procedural authority but lack technical expertise, and people here in this forum who have technical expertise but lack procedural authority. How do I resolve this?

Thanks,

Tom.III

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

HI Tom.  Please send me a private message with your name server info and I will follow up with the Enterprise Team. I apologize for the issues with this process.