Skip to content
rnSD's profile

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, September 25th, 2015 12:00 PM

can only get to website by adding /index.html on the end of website name

Like the title says if I don't but the /index.html on the end of the website name i get a 404.  I'm not sure how to fix this and it looks like I don't have the ability to make and save an .htaccess file in my root folder.  I assume I don't have permission on the server side. 

This directly applies to the "How do i set my home, or default page".  I have an index.html in my www directory so I'm not sure why that isn't coming up when my domain is entered. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello rnSD and welcome,

I have done about 3 different Busness Class Portal (BCP) free 3 page websites in here using sitebuilder/website builder and none of them ever provided or infused any index.html file in the www home directory. When I access any of my BCP websites it is typing in website.domain-name.com and it comes right up.The index.htm file is something that would only be setup by a website developer typically used to provide a means to navigate to a selection of webpages, database accesses, etc., as you know. I have not seen any index file offered in the starter package and this would consume one page of the 3 page free offering (10MB) and for this reason would not really be a practical application.

Need to know if you brought in your existing domain and are using another webhosting package besides starter ( check this link out for reference ) ?  If you brought over your residential website into this BCP this could possibly be the root cause for you now having to still use the index.html file, just some food for thought. Lastly do you use your FTP site to upload your files?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

9 years ago

@rnSD wrote:

Like the title says if I don't but the /index.html on the end of the website name i get a 404.  I'm not sure how to fix this and it looks like I don't have the ability to make and save an .htaccess file in my root folder.  I assume I don't have permission on the server side. 

Check to make sure you don't have an index.php file in your web folder -- it will take precedence over an index.html file. (As I recall, the initial website setup has a giant tree of stuff you don't need or want if you're publishing your own application.)