Skip to content
Cruiser0358's profile

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015 8:00 AM

Outllook 2010 Will Not Connect to Comcast Hosted Business Email when Running on Windows XP

Outllook 2010 Will Not Connect to Comcast Hosted Business Email when Running on Windows XP

As of Monday, 21 September we have two machines that are running Windows XP for backwards Program Compatibility and outlook 2010 will no longer connect to the Hosted Comcast Business Email (aka, Microsoft) 

Has anybody else out there experienced this?  

All our efforts to make it work have been unsuccessful, did Miscrosoft download a blocker becasue the OS is Windows XP?

There was no forewarning that they were going to diable the client if running on XP, seems tobe only if connected to their exchange servers.  All other machines running Windows 7 are working fine.  The only way to access these two accounts now is through the web outlook application.

Any new out there about this?

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Okay, so you know that these XP machine have Outlook 2010 upgraded correctly. The log into the Portal using the Admin email account, then under Mange Services, click Email, then click View DNS Settings and make sure that ALL you Outlook configuration POP incoming, SMTP outgoing, Exchange, etc addresses are using the correct setting shown in the View DNS Settings display.

I will research this further, but I have not heard of any Microsoft Outlook 2010 running on XP machines issues, but as you know, anything is possible. Let us know that all your View DNS Setting addresses are correctly setup in your machines Outlook 2010 configuration.  

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello Cruiser0358 and welcome,

If your XP Outlook has been correctly updated/upgraded to Outlook 2010 then you should be able to login to your Business Class Portal Web Mail. I recommend that you check this link  out to make sure your Outlook has been correctly upgraded to 2010.

Hope this helps you out.

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the info, but these two machines have been running outlook 2010 for over 8 months now without any issues, both of them were connecting to W14CLBWC.W14C.comcast.net which is where our mail server is hosted.  As of Monday neither machine will connect to W14CLBWC.W14C.comcast.net, it pops for password when we try to resetup the account, but never goes any further than that.  IF we get past the Office logo and do happen to get outlook to open, then it just sits there saying trying to connect.

I know that it is not an issue with our network, as I have 65 other machines that are working just fine, these are the only two machine in the company that are running XP.  IT is almost like MICROSOFT is blocking any machine that is running XP.

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I have checked all of the DNS settings on the effected machines, they are correct, if I ping the servers I get back an IP address so I know that the machines are reaching out to the mail server.

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Additional Information:  I did a repair on the machine to see if that would fix it and it  did not, so I thought, lets go to a machine that has windows 7 on it with outlook 2010 and add the account to see if it connects or not.  Adding the account on the other machine was successful and worked as expected.  So the issue is with Windows XP, something has changed on the back end server side that it not allowing our XP machines to connect to the Exchange Server.

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

dfaiman@mcdonaldwhsl.com

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Could you post what the domain name suffix is of the email address on the XP machine(s) that is not able to connect ? 

BTW - I am not able to ping W14CLBWC.W14C.comcast.net ? Is this the correct email address?

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Our domain ends with .com

the address that it is getting email from ends in a .net

It is a correct email address, I can not ping the full address, but I can ping W14C.comcast.net, it returns an IP, but does not respongd as they have it set to not reply to a ping.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

I need at minimum  your email address domain-name.com.  I see your email server is W14CLBWC.W14C.comcast.net but I can still not ping that via Command Prompt on the Internet. 

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Okay, DNSGoodies from below indicates that your zone file records appear to be correct for this domain:

A 173.8.220.205

MX 10 mx02.biz.comcast.net.
10 mx01.biz.comcast.net.
50 mx03.biz.comcast.net.

CNAME No CNAME record found.

NS adns.cs.siteprotect.com.
bdns.cs.siteprotect.com.

PTR No PTR record found.

SOA a.dns.hostway.net. hostmaster.siteprotect.com
2014080820 86400 7200 86400 300

Obviously your MX and NS records are the vital records for your email to be processed correctly.

I am personally very suspect that I cannot ping the W14CLBWC.W14C.comcast.net. Could you please double-check that this is exactly the email address contained within your Business Class Portal View DNS Settings because ALL valid DNS setting addresses should receive a reply to pings. If you continue to have this issue, I recommend you call 800-391-3000, use technical high speed internet option, have a technical agent verify your W14CLBWC.W14C.comcast.net within the master email server database.

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I now have two Cases open with Comcast Trunk Support, Tier 2 support, and they have yet to call me back, the first ticket opened on 23rd of September CR508794215 was promised a call back within 24 hours, on this past Monday 28 Sep 15 I called back and asked them why I had not gotten my call back, so they opened a new case CR510335102 and promised a 4 hour call back time, now it is Thursday 72 hours later and NO CALL BACK, not a happy IT guy right now.   All the above suggestions have been looked into and nothing will fix the issue, so I opened this case(s) in hope of getting an answer from support.  Nothing yet!

Smiley Sad