Skip to content
henkellaw's profile

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, November 15th, 2014 4:00 PM

Microsoft Outlook and Exchange issues -- migration

I this the place where I can receive help or suggestions about problems with the migration to Microsoft Exchange 2010 and set up of Outlook 2010?  

If not, please advise where I should post or who can help.  The saga is pretty long.  In short, finally -- after numerous attempts AND taking the computer to TechStop to no avail -- I am now getting email on my main PC.  However, my calendar and all my contacts are gone although they do show up online.  This is my BUSINESS computer, and it is very inefficient and frustrating not to be able to access Contacts from the computer without laboriously going through the web.  Plus, cannot update Calendar through moving messages from email box to calendar, so have to handwrite in everything.  Not efficient.  

To make matters worse, when I try to get tech support, I am told that although, without notice or any opportunity to know what was happening, I was "upgraded" to Exchange 2010 and Outlook connectivity totally lost, I am now informed that Comcast does not suipport Outlook, they just provide it.  What?  And, when my paid tech experts tried to get some information from Comcast support, they were told that someone would call them back in 24 to 48 hours -- and then they never did.  

Thank you for allowing me to vent a bit.   

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello henkellaw and welcome,

Very sorry to here about your previous experiences but let see if we can provide assistance now.

The first order of business is for you to make absolute sure that your Outlook 2010 ((OL10 )accounts are using the correct domain addresses. You will need to log into your Business Class Portal (BCP) administrator email account, then go to Manage Services.Email, then click View Domain Info link.  I recommend you make a handy hardcopy of this for you usage when checking all of your  OL10 email accounts. If any of your email accounts do not have the correct domain addresses as shown in View Domain Info,  then update them within the Outlook.File.Account Settings.Change, etc....

If you need to configure calendar in Outlook, this is really good website that I have used in the past.  If you need to create or edit contacts this is another really good website for this.

Hope this help you out.

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for your help, but I am still having problems.  I think it relates to mailboxes and calendars and contacts not merging into the Outlook properly. 

I have two domains -- one is the "vanity" domain henkellaw.com and the other is the longer one, henkellaw.comcastbiz.net

From your information, I decided to add the henkellaw.comcastbiz.net identiy to the outlook,  I had previously only added  the vanity domain. 

Now, I have an additional box in the Outlook, for the other domain -- but it's not merged together.  And, I do have some of my calendar entries, but not the past, which is essential to be able to do various tasks.  Again, these appear in the online account but not in my outlook. 

And, still no Contacts -- there are suggested contacts with email addresses, no phone numbers, no addresses, no notes and useful links, as there used to be -- no clients, friends, family, etc..  Very disconcerting. 

I keep trying to say this must be some setting issue.  Does Sharepoint enter into this?  If I could only allow the techies to have my computer, that would be one thing -- but I have to practice law.  They are closed on weekends.  So, again, I'm frustrated. 

Thanks again for trying to help, but I would appreciate something more specific. I have all the documents you provided -- they just don't show how to link me to the contacts and calendar on line.   

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Please check out this linking 2010 contacts video to make sure your Outlook 2010 email account contacts is setup and enabled properly. 

Let us know if this helps you out.

Official Employee

• 

869 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you VBSSP-RICH for the great video!

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you, as well, but this does not solve my problem.  I simply do not have my contacts folder or calendar that shows up on line.  None of the contacts folders in my PC Outlook have ANY content!  So, there is nothing to link to. 

I have to laboriously go to my contacts on line, every time, in order to find them. 

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

10 years ago

Hello henkellaw,

Can you clarify a few items for the community so we may assist?

1. Did you registered your domain of "henkellaw.com" through Comcast or another company?

2. How did your IT setup your Outlook mail profile?

- As in POP3, IMAP or Exchange via auto-discover.

Thank you

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the questions.  I did register my henkellaw.com domain through Comcast.  They called it my vanity domain, so I did not have to make beth@henkellaw.comcastbiz.net be my email address -- just, beth@henkellaw.com 

I do stil, apparently, have that long email address as well -- I get email from Comcast very occasionally on that email address. Those emails do not merge into henkellaw.com -- which is a problem.  But when I go to that long domain, it, too, has no contacts and no calendar. 

What apparently has not migrated successfully are the calendars and contacts that I developed over several years under henkellaw.com

You can understand that concern, I'm sure.  There are literally thousands. 

As for questions 2 -- I do not have IT -- I am a solo lawyer lawfirm, and I use Techstop.  The problem there is that the people at support for Comcast would not allow Techstop to talk with the second tier support that they needed.  They did create a ticket number and told Techstop that they would call back within 24 to 48 hourse, but never did.  I had to take the computer back, as it has all my work on it and I cannot practice law without it. 

I was finally able myself to connect my email to henkellaw.com -- but, again, no calendar and no contact. I am pretty sure we used Exchange but autodiscover did not work, so we used the settings provided by Comcast, which were:  

IMAP -- imap.W14D.comcast.net

and

SMTP -- smtp.@15D.comcast.net

What I would love is if we could set up some sort of communication method between Techstop and Comcast to resolve these issues, without the 2 day wait. 

Thanks. 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Pardon me -- the SMTP settings were smtp.W14D.comcast.net

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

If nothing worked out till now, then you can visit this page may be you get some solution. In the past, one of my acquintace also suffered the similar issue and then he got the solution through similar reference.

New problem solver

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

This is the nighmare Comcast has me going thru right now. 57 outlook configurations broken with the unannounced migration.

I also got the its an outlook issue call Microsoft, fortunatly I do have support from them. Microsofts conclusion was it's a problem with the autodiscover hosted my Comcast.

So I have the issue open at Tier 2 but still unresolved.

@henkellaw wrote:

I this the place where I can receive help or suggestions about problems with the migration to Microsoft Exchange 2010 and set up of Outlook 2010?  

If not, please advise where I should post or who can help.  The saga is pretty long.  In short, finally -- after numerous attempts AND taking the computer to TechStop to no avail -- I am now getting email on my main PC.  However, my calendar and all my contacts are gone although they do show up online.  This is my BUSINESS computer, and it is very inefficient and frustrating not to be able to access Contacts from the computer without laboriously going through the web.  Plus, cannot update Calendar through moving messages from email box to calendar, so have to handwrite in everything.  Not efficient.  

To make matters worse, when I try to get tech support, I am told that although, without notice or any opportunity to know what was happening, I was "upgraded" to Exchange 2010 and Outlook connectivity totally lost, I am now informed that Comcast does not suipport Outlook, they just provide it.  What?  And, when my paid tech experts tried to get some information from Comcast support, they were told that someone would call them back in 24 to 48 hours -- and then they never did.  

@henkellaw wrote: