Skip to content
dsinn's profile

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, June 7th, 2019 8:00 AM

Static v6

Does Comcast have a plan or a ETA for delivering actual static IPv6 allocations for Business Class customers?

The current PD model means any number of actions outside of your control means the prefix you were using can change. Further, PD is non-usable if you have a L3 topology behind the Comcast modem, as PD-ing a PD'ed device just doesn't work and static configs means you get to scramble when the dynamic prefix is ultimatly replaced by something totally outside of your control. And all of that is just the addressing problem before you talk about DNS and rDNS implications of something randomly changing on you.

So basically v6 is great for eyeballs but non-usable for services. Business Class is about having services as well as more complicated topology behind the CM, so v6 still has a gap to what a customer can do with v4. Until this is closed, v6 will still suffer relative to v4 in actual use.

Official Employee

• 

128 Messages

5 years ago

dsinn, thanks for reaching out about your concerns about iPv6 allocations for Business Class customers. To date, Comcast has launched dynamic and static IPv6 support for all Business Internet customers. The static IPv6 addresses are included in any IPv4 lease and those addresses can all be found by logging in to My Account. If you are paying for static IPs, you can set up a prefix delegation. 

Ken

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Do you have any deployment guides around this? I'm asking because I can only get addresses within the PD range to work even though the assignment says I have a larger block. I really don't want to run PD, just have all of the /56 (minus the one /64 for the local LAN on the CM) pointed at the same node that has my static v4 address. I can't seem to find any documentation on how to do that.

Thanks!

Gold Problem solver

• 

421 Messages

5 years ago

With IPv6 this is usually my go-to article but I also want to make sure that I'm pointing you in the right direction: Use your static IPs to run a server - IPv6 and IPv6 forum thread . When you're talking about pointing the /56s at the node with your IPv4s I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly; would you mind clarifying a bit? Thanks!

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for the pointers, but that is not what I'm trying to accomplish.

I would prefer to not use PD at all. PD is two dependent on the actual device that I'm using, has too much of a dynamic nature built into it and only only works for recieving a limited block out of the static allocation. Ultimatly I just want the /56 which Comcast has allocated me pointed at a single next-hop of my choice (minus the /64 that is used for the local LAN on the CM). Functionally that will be the same next-hop device as my static v4 address assigned to, hence my comment. This way whatever I do on my gear is fully in my control and not dependent on having the same MAC address, behavior of the software on the CM, etc.

Thanks!

Advocate

• 

1.1K Messages

5 years ago

The PD is dependant on the CM mac address as this is delegated by our cable modem termination system (CMTS). Your feedback is valued and here it is certainly here for review.