Skip to content
Robstarusa's profile

New Contributor

• 

15 Messages

Tuesday, October 11th, 2016 4:00 AM

Static IPV6 only works with /64 or /60, NOT /56.

So I've spent parts of 2 days trying to get this to work.

I've had my pfsense 2.3.2-p1 box try to request a /56 from my netgear cable modem but I only ever get a /60 back (seen via debugging dhcp in pfsense).  I have 2 "lan" interfaces "tracking" the wan, and if I set the wan to request a /60, then everything works.

In the static IP page of my comcast business account (as well as the cable modem) it says I have a /56.

I've rebooted the cable modem & that hasn't changed anything.

Hardware is Netgear

Hardware version is 1.04

Firmware is V3.01.08

Please assist 🙂

Thank you,

Robert

Also: I"m in the Chicago area.  I think this is supposed to be rolled out here already...

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

8 years ago

I am in the same boat. I can supply hints for /56 - /59 and I only get back offers of a /60 😞

Gold Problem solver

• 

575 Messages

8 years ago

Hello Robstarusa,

Sorry for the delayed response. I have sent a new configuration file to your modem to see if it will help with your IPv6 delegations. You may have to manually reboot your modem for the configuration to complete. Please let me know if your issue persists.

Thank You

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

We're having the same problem on our Netgear CG3000DCR, hardware version 1.04, firmware version V3.01.08. This seems to be the same modem as the OP's. Could you push the same config change to our modem that you did to theirs? We'd really like to be able to use our full /56, or even a /57 or /58, but the modem will only give us a /60.

Occasional Visitor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

I am having this issue as well. Can only get /60. If there is indeed something CC can do to "fix" this by reconfig my modem (Netgear CG3000DCR), please contact me so we get it done.

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Also having this problem with pfSense and my CG3000. 

Also, can anyone in this thread post what settings you're using in pfSense to configure static IPv6 (especially on the LAN side)? 

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

7 years ago

I have a feeling their "static IPv6" means "dynamic IPv6 that doesn't change"   Until they get the ability to put in reverse addresses on a static IPv6 assignmnet it will be worthless.

For the last couple years nobody has gotten the Netgear to issue a /56 no matter what the config.  All it gives is /60.

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I am also unable to get a /56 PD from Comcast.  All I get is a /64 or a /60.  Hinting with a /56 will not return any prefixes.

I have a Motorola MD7420.  I wonder if, when I plugged it into the wall outlet,it somehow downloaded a config for residential?  I have seen that Comcast Residental customers get a /60, but Business customers are supposed to get a /56.

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I've been asking this question since December - every few weeks I open a new ticket with business support, only to have the tickets closed a few days later.  It's very frustrating, doubly so since it's a problem that (judging from this forum) a good number of people also have.  Like the original poster, I have a Netgear CG3000DCR.

I'd even take a "It's just not going to work - the CG3000DCR always does that" as an answer.  The lack of any response from support that I'm paying for is what's incredibly frustrating here.

New problem solver

• 

41 Messages

7 years ago

See my post on the issues with performance on IPv6 with the Netgear. My guess is that the hardware / software can barely handle what it's doing, adding that many more potential addresses would likely knock it over faster than it alread falls. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

@Comcast_Michael, could you push the fix for this to our modem as well, like you offered to do for Robstarusa? We're still having this problem. Thanks!