Skip to content
corwin's profile

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, November 22nd, 2015 11:00 AM

PD and the SMC modem

Greetings,

I have the SMC modem, leased from Comcast Business (as I have a static v4 block), that is in .  I want to get a PD for a downstream router (preferrably a /56 or /60).  From what I've read here, it doesn't look like I can get a downstream PD from the SMC modem, but need to get a Netgear.

I've tested PD against the SMC (using dibble) and don't get an assignment (and none shows up as a PD'd prefix on the SMC), which seems to prove the SMC point.

So, is there something I need  to do to get Comcast to issue me a Netgear instead and b, is there anything else I need to do to get Comcast to enable PD, or will it just work?

It would be REALLY nice if Comcast would let me use my /48 (PI) and announce it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Christopher

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

** Bump **

Gold Problem solver

• 

575 Messages

9 years ago

Hello corwin and welcome to forums.

I beleive that you will have to switch to the netgear modem to resolve your issue. All you have to do is call tech support and inform them that your current modem does not support the functions that you need and can you please get a netgear sent out to replace the one you have. If you have any issues feel free to check back here for help.

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

9 years ago

They have to order a SMC modem then in the notes to the order put in that you want a Netgear.  They don't have a separate order for a netgear.  Many of the customer service people don't know that.  You may have to ask for your call to be passed around before getting someone knowledgeable enough to know how to do it.