Skip to content
fgodfrey's profile

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, April 23rd, 2014 1:00 PM

No IPv6 until there's no more IPv4?!?!

I just called support to find out when I'd be able to get an IPv6 allocation on my existing Comcast Business service since the trial is now closed.  I was informed that Comcast would not issue IPv6 addresses until all IPv4 addresses were allocated and then they'd switch.

Except, of course, I (and I'll guess most other people) don't want to *switch* from IPv4 to IPv6, I want dual stack, which Comcast Residential customers in my area already have.  comcast6.net claims that my area is IPv6 ready.

I do network development for a living and it would sure help if I had native IPv6 in my home office.

Is that really the answer or was my service person just misinformed?

Accepted Solution

Problem solver

• 

117 Messages

10 years ago

"Is that really the answer or was my service person just misinformed?"

I would expect "just misinformed", but it would be nice to hear a response from Comcast on this.

Advocate

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi xz4gb8.  While the IPv6 trial is closed to new participants, IPv6 for Business customer is still in the test phase.  At this time we do not have a confirmed roll out date for Business Customers.

Thank You

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

Is there a reason why Res customers  are able to have it now, and the bus customers are still testing?

Is it a reliability  issues or something else. Is the backbone of the bus side on a whole another system?

Is it they want it to work a certain way vs res customs.

It will help us and  other  unstand why they are waiting for the test to finish.

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

There's a few, but a short summary would be that business customers have slightly different, higher, harder to meet, requirements:

- static ipv4, which requires a different modem than residential [*]

- the 2 modems which do static ipv4 don't quite do ipv6 yet (well, it's being tested) [*]

- ipv6 subnetting (ie. PD = prefix delegation) which doesn't work with any modem atm (to my knowledge, although in progress)

- static ipv6, which doesn't work with any modem atm (afaik)

- reverse dns

- debugging support

- monitoring support

Maybe other stuff I've missed, just read a few of the top threads here.

But really the two major issues are marked with [*] above -- they're like 90% of the reason, PD being probably another 5%.

I think you can actually get ipv6 with a business subscription if you use a residential ipv6-capable modem (but you lose static ipv4 and Comcast might not want to support you [unsure???]).

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the info MaZePallas.

I thought is would be something to do with making it reliable or the DNS server.

You can't get it right now , even with the right modem. I think it is static IPv6 only for testing.

I have the Netgear Modem, that works with the IPv6. 

I do see what you was saying about changing the modems over to IPv6 compatible one. That will take some time.

It's no biggie . I'm not to pressed on it. Would rather it work right when released

Just wish the put a stick in the forum . Small summary From Comcast What is going on with IPv6.

Yea, they have a website to read about it. But, does it really have anything on there about Bussiness side.

I see a lot of theads about it. Asking the same thing.

Problem solver

• 

117 Messages

10 years ago

Bumpshot,

The assumption that all business users require static IP addressing is not well founded.  There are some services that do not work well with dynamic addressing, particularly email.  Some do -- I have had Comcast Business Internet since January 2013 and am well served by dynamic addressing for both IPv4 (NATted) and IPv6 (via PD).  Of course, my mail services are provided by an external provider who can handle all the DDOS handling, filtering, and such.   What services you must deliver to your customers determines the need (or lack of need) for static IP addressing.

If you do need static addressing, for whatever purpose, or DNS PTR records matching the fqdn you use, then most Customer Premises Equipment is just not satisfactory.  You will have to be very creative (read: spend $$$) or wait. 

For reference on dynamic IP dual stacked service, see http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Equipment-Modems-Gateways/Configure-Native-IPv6-with-Apple-Airport-Extreme/m-p/2910/highlight/true#M418

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

10 years ago

xz4gb8 You must of misread my post.

I did not say you had to be on Static IP to get IPv6. You need to read my post again.

I said  " I think it is static IPv6 only for testing. "

And for testing they are on Static IPv6 , so they can test. Easier to help and test , if they know the ip the tester is on..

They have already said in another post. That you do not need to be on static ip to get IPv6 when it is open to all.

Also I am on a Dynamic IP account .  With modem in true Bridge mode. I do not have Static IPs on my account.

I don't understand this thing you are going on with,  of Static over Dynamic IPs or Dynamic over Static.

You sound like you are on your own topic.

Problem solver

• 

117 Messages

10 years ago

Bumpshot,

Oops, the reply was to MaZePallas