Skip to content
gadams999's profile

New Contributor

• 

15 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2013 6:00 AM

IPv6 Trail Questions

I just received my Netgear router w/ splitter. Before plugging in and utilizing, I had a couple questions. To access both IPv4 and IPv6, do both modems need be installed or can I get my IPv4 space made available on the new modem?

My guess is both modems need to be installed so as to keep the trial away from produciton services. Has anyone placed both in front of an IPv4/IPv6 firewall (pfSense in my case)?

For a DHCPv6 request, are /64's the largest allocation given by the Netgear? I'm trying to think of a design for IP allocaiton to a small subnet of devices through my IPv6 router/firewall.

Finally, are there any more specific forums to ask questions and get detais on the IPv6 trial?

Accepted Solution

Problem solver

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

@gadams999 wrote:

I just received my Netgear router w/ splitter. Before plugging in and utilizing, I had a couple questions. To access both IPv4 and IPv6, do both modems need be installed or can I get my IPv4 space made available on the new modem?

I would use both, I would not move your v4 space due to the fact this is a trial.  We need to know about issues..

My guess is both modems need to be installed so as to keep the trial away from produciton services. Has anyone placed both in front of an IPv4/IPv6 firewall (pfSense in my case)? Not that I know of, can pfSense support multihome?

For a DHCPv6 request, are /64's the largest allocation given by the Netgear? I'm trying to think of a design for IP allocaiton to a small subnet of devices through my IPv6 router/firewall.  Have you tried changing your IA_PD to request a larger block from the netgear?  The netgear will be recieving a /56

Finally, are there any more specific forums to ask questions and get detais on the IPv6 trial?  Here works, what questions do you have?

Accepted Solution

New Contributor

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks Tuska. I've got the modem installed and a /56 shows up in the IPv6 setup page. Hooking up a PC (Mac) gets a 2006:: address I can ping6 to IPv6 public addresses. I've kept the IPv4 mdoem and the IPv6 modems separate and on different physical interfaces.

I do have a question on the LAN IPv6 setup. I'm given the /56, but do I need to select the "User defined prefix" setting (CG3000DCR) in order for my downstream firewall to get a /64?

Bascially I'm connecting my CPE (router/firewall) to the LAN and it's being assigned a /64 prefix and address. Does the modem act as a DHCPv6 router and allocate a /64 out of the /56 when presented with an IA_PD request?

Once I get my head around what the proper address assignemnt is on my CPE's WAN side (/64 or /128), this should be easier. My learning problem right now is the differences betwen HSI and CBI configs.

Problem solver

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

@gadams999 wrote:

I do have a question on the LAN IPv6 setup. I'm given the /56, but do I need to select the "User defined prefix" setting (CG3000DCR) in order for my downstream firewall to get a /64? You will need to use DHCP and request a PD, but that has not been tested yet.

Bascially I'm connecting my CPE (router/firewall) to the LAN and it's being assigned a /64 prefix and address. Does the modem act as a DHCPv6 router and allocate a /64 out of the /56 when presented with an IA_PD request? Yes this is how we want the modem to act, it will act as a DHCP server and assign an IPv6 prefix.

New Contributor

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

You will need to use DHCP and request a PD, but that has not been tested yet

Does that mean the "User Defined Setting" has to be turned on to respond to a PD? Still not sure exactly how that setting differs from the IPv 6 address and prefix settings above it (which appear to be the same).