Skip to content
hhedeshian's profile

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, January 30th, 2013 9:00 AM

IPv6 Feature Set

Hi,

I know Comcast is working on IPv6 for business class customers. I have a few questions regarding Comcast's implementation.

1. How is Comcast planning on allocating IPv6 prefixes?

2. In general, will you have /48 or /56 delegations?

3. How do you intend to "advertise" the prefix (i.e.. RFC3633, static configuration, etc...)?

4. Will you be able to provide reverse name server delegations for entire prefixes? I really don't want to call your customer support 2^80=~1,208,925,800,000,000,000,000,000 times, once for every single record I need to add in a /48 prefix.

Thanks

HH

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I'm interested in this as well.  RFC3633 describes an interesting way to delegate prefixes and would be a good fit for the business internet service.

Often what you see is providers delegating a /64, or even longer prefix, and it just ends up being a big hack since you aren't able to then carve out another /64 from it for your own router/LAN. 

As to the original poster's point about reverse DNS, in IPv6 you can delegate at the nibble level, so it's significantly easier to manage from that regard.  This doesn't mean that Comcast will do it, but they could delegate the portion of the reverse DNS that covers your /48, to your own name servers.  They should provide an interface to change the delegation in this business website maybe.

Advocate

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

Welcome laszlo. IPv6 trials for Business customers is in the rollout phase.  Here is a IPv6 Link to additonal information.  

Thank You

Problem solver

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

@hhedeshian wrote:

Hi,

1. How is Comcast planning on allocating IPv6 prefixes?  Via DHCPv6

2. In general, will you have /48 or /56 delegations? right now a /56 to Business users

3. How do you intend to "advertise" the prefix (i.e.. RFC3633, static configuration, etc...)?  DHCPv6

4. Will you be able to provide reverse name server delegations for entire prefixes? I really don't want to call your customer support 2^80=~1,208,925,800,000,000,000,000,000 times, once for every single record I need to add in a /48 prefix.  I dont have a answer on this yet let me look into it..

Thanks

HH