Skip to content
Orinda-94563's profile

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 12:00 PM

How to get static IPv6 addresses from Comcast?

I am a Comcast business customers and just had my modem swaped out for one that supports IPv6.  I have a block of IPv6 addresses but the tech didn't know how to assign a static IPv6 address.  He suggested I contact Comcast customer support.

Called Comcast support and was told to assign amy global IPv6 address to the router for IPv6 support.  That doesnt' sound right to me, but is that what we are supposed to be doing?

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Does Comcast support answer question in these forums?

Advocate

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Oinda-94563.  At this time Comcast does not support Static IPv6 address routing.   

Thank You

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

When will Comcast in my area?  (Orinda, CA 94563)

What support does Comcast have for IPv6?

When Comcast claims 16+% deployment what do they mean?

Comcast IPv6 Deployment 201311

Problem solver

• 

90 Messages

10 years ago

@Orinda-94563 wrote:

When will Comcast in my area?  (Orinda, CA 94563)

What support does Comcast have for IPv6?

All areas are IPv6 supported at this time, you can look at http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ for devices that are IPv6 supported...  If you look you will see that no CCR is supported at this time..  We are working on these devices at this time.

Only Dynamic IPv6 is supported and not static..  So if your a residential sub with a supported cable modem with a supported router IPv6 will be supported.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

to add to Comcast_tuskas point, I have a BCI account with a customer owned modem and am also getting dynamic v6 addresses

Problem solver

• 

90 Messages

10 years ago

@train_wreck wrote:
to add to Comcast_tuskas point, I have a BCI account with a customer owned modem and am also getting dynamic v6 addresses

Sweet thanks for confirming..  BCI account's that have a v6 supported device should get Dual-stack..

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

yep, still haven't figured out how to pull a /60 yet, but that's probably PEBCAC Cat Wink

i would think that v6 should also work with a bridged rental unit.

Problem solver

• 

90 Messages

10 years ago

@train_wreck wrote:

yep, still haven't figured out how to pull a /60 yet, but that's probably PEBCAC Cat Wink

i would think that v6 should also work with a bridged rental unit.

What device type do you have behind the modem?  does it support IA_PD?

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

right now  i have a custom built Arch Linux router PC. And i think i figured it out; the wide dhcpv6 client needed " prefix ::/60 infinity;" added to its /etc/wide-dhcpv6/dhcp6c.conf file. I made a new topic about this though, if you want to check it out.

New Contributor

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

train_wreck - where is that post you made on the prefix pull (::/60)? Would like to track that once I get my SB6141.

New problem solver

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

My Static IP v4 modem just picked up IPv6 ip addresses in Spokane, Washington

It's interesting to note the /64 subnet as well.

Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 8.04.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-11-21 at 8.05.35 PM.png

Problem solver

• 

90 Messages

10 years ago

@Tnelsom wrote:

My Static IP v4 modem just picked up IPv6 ip addresses in Spokane, Washington

It's interesting to note the /64 subnet as well. 

The /64 is for the LAN, you are really getting a /56 

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

It's been a few years and there was some news about running out of IPv4 addresses. Any update on this? Is it possible to get a static IPv6 prefix yet? I can get static IPv4 addresses and those are a lot more precious.

Thanks,

-josh

New Contributor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Also interested to know the current status on the static IPV6 option. I believe I saw in another post that the expected timeframe was sometime in 2015. Will there be additional charges above and beyond the charges for the IPV4 blocks?

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

It has been over a year since this thread had been updated.

Does comcast have any plans to ever start providing static IPv6 addresses?

If so, when?