Skip to content
codechurn's profile

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

Saturday, August 4th, 2018 9:00 PM

Custom DNS on DPC3941B

It seems like no matter what values I put into the Primary and Secondary IPv6 DNS values on the DPC3941B, the LAN Status page always lists 2001:558:feed::1 and IPv6 clients are autoconfigured for 2001:558:feed::1 and 2001:558:feed::2. How do I use my own DNS servers?

• 

163 Messages

6 years ago

The following link should address your IPV6 concerns. https://business.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/using-a-static-ip/. 

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

Michele, 

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to reply, but a couple of things:

The link in your reply is broken; you have a period at the end of the anchor tag 

If I manually adjust your link and go to that page, it is generic information about using a static ip with Comcast; I already know how to do this. My problem is that your IPv6 Router Advertisement contains your DNS servers, which I do not want to use your DNS servers. I would like to use my *own* DNS servers. I have configured them in the "Gateway > Connection > Local IP Configuration" settings options of the DPC3941B, however I continue to be auto configured for 2001:558:feed::1 and 2001:558:feed::2 and "Gateway > Connection > LAN Status" shows 2001:558:feed::1.

I have attached screenshots to illustrate:

settings-2.png

settings-1.png

• 

163 Messages

6 years ago

You are only able to use our DNS servers with the IPV6 static addresses. There is not a way to adjust this configuration. 

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

6 years ago

Will this change in the future? I don't want to use your DNS servers. Why even offer the box to set the DNS server values?

• 

163 Messages

6 years ago

It is a possibility that this option may be available in the future however for the static IP's on our modem it is not an option at this time.