Skip to content
sbsfree's profile

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, August 7th, 2014 8:00 AM

Windows VPN with Comcast Modem SMC Networks

I'm trying to configure Windows VPN with a LAN computer so that users outside can access it remotely. SMC D3G

We have a SMC D3G Comcast IP Gateway with a static IP internet address that I tried to use with the forwarded port 1723 to the VPN Server with ip 10.1.10.xx. The VPN Server is connected directly to the IP Gateway via ethernet.

When i set up the windows vpn client with the internet WAN IP I can't access the VPN Server because because the name could not be resolved. I tried "Pulblic IP:1723" as well as just "Public IP". As you can see I'm pretty new at this so if you could help me go through the steps required to set this up and learn I would be greatly in your debt!

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello sbsfree and welcome,

I recommend you consider setting you VPN Server with your static IP routable address. This is because your StaticIP address on the SMC comes with no firewall and all ports open. Therefore, your standard VPN server ports will be opened as long as they are using staticIP on the SMC. If you need to port forward your VPN client, then you can do this using the SMC DHCP port forwarding facility.

Hope this helps you out.

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hello,

i set up the vpn server with the static ip xxx.xxx.xxx.57 and public internet adddress as the gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.58

the VPN server is connected directly to the modem and the static ip addresss is connected to the internet successfully, i am also able to ping .57 from the outside, however i still can't connect through windows vpn service. Any ideas?

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

when you say you "tried "Pulblic IP:1723" as well as just "Public IP", where did you try these, exactly? are you saying you entered "Public IP: 1723" into the host name field in the VPN properties dialog box on Windows?