Skip to content
lbenioff's profile

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 10:00 AM

Using a SonicWall firewall behind the Comcast Router

I not ready to make the change at this moment.  I first want to be clear about all the steps.  We have the Cisco DPC3941B that is currently configured with a DHCP address.  We have secured a static IP from Comcast, but have not yet changed the router.  However this is the first question.  The router currently has the WAN IP at 50.73.107.102 and the Gateway at 24.13.50.1.  The static IP we were assigned is 50.73.107.101 with the Gateway at .102.   This seems odd this the new Gateway is the current WAN IP?

Our goal is to put into place a Sonicwall firewall so that we can accept secure VPN connections.  I've ready many of the posts about changing the Comcast router to Bridge mode.  I see a button on the "At A Glance" page for Enabling bridge mode.  When you have offered to turn on briding for other customers is there more to it than clicking this button?  I also want to confirm that once the Comcast router is in bridge mode I will set the WAN IP on the Sonciwall to .101 and the Gateway to .102?  Am I missing anything.

Gold Problem solver

• 

575 Messages

7 years ago

Hello lbenioff and welcome to forums,

I apologize for my delayed response to your post. Though it may seem confusing your are correct in your research. The IP address you assign to your Sonicwall is .101 and set the gateway at .102. This combination in bridge mode allows our network to see the IP request and to route them through the network while not using the DHCP feature of the gateway. If for any reason you cannot put your device into bridge mode please message me and I will assist. I hope this information helps.

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the response.   What about the fact that the current IP for the router (DHCP) is identical to the Gateway address for our assigned static IP?  

Also, I am correct that I can simply click the Enable button to put the device in bridge mode?

Gold Problem solver

• 

575 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you,

You should be able to enable the bridge mode utilizing the button, if you have any issues message me for assistance. The gateway IP .102 is a static assignment to your modem though in the interface it may appear to you as a DHCP address. The .101 is your usable static IP that will have internet access based off of the .102 gateway. Does this better answer your question?