Skip to content
sgrundy's profile

New problem solver

• 

4 Messages

Monday, August 11th, 2014 7:00 PM

Use existing router instead of DPC3939B

Recently had business class internet installed and I'd like to use my existing ASUS router instead of the DPC3939B.  I do not have a static IP and didn't see anything in the DPC3939B's configuration menu that eluded to any "bridge" or "pass through" modes.  If someone can assist me in making this happen I would appreciate it.

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

@VBSSP-RICH wrote:

Hello  sgrundy and welcome,

The DPC3939B can be put into True Bridge Mode by a technical agent but this will disable all private, public wifi due to also disabling all internet LAN DHCP Server and router facilities. You might want to look at http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net and select the Internet Tier Speed within the Business Meter available.  This also provide the supported customer owned modems which I do not believe the ASUS is one.

Hope this helps you out. 

That's fine for me, I do not need anything the DPC3939B offers, I'll use my own router for WiFi, DHCP, etc.  I just want the DPC3939B to pass the external IP to my router.  I do not run a business, I just had business class installed to get rid of the ridiculous 300GB monthly data cap I had on the residential tier.

Unless you are saying that in order to accomplish this task I need a static IP?  My networking kung fu is weak.

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

No, I am not saying that you need any staticIP whatsoever due to no Comcast modem will work in true bridge mode that has a static IP configured within. So, most Comcast modems in true bridge mode will simply act as a passthrough as you are looking for it to do so.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hey sgrundy,

The most expedient way to get this handled for you is to call 18003913000, use option 1, and have a technical agent set it up for you.

Hope this helps you out.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello  sgrundy and welcome,

The DPC3939B can be put into True Bridge Mode by a technical agent but this will disable all private, public wifi due to also disabling all internet LAN DHCP Server and router facilities. You might want to look at http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net and select the Internet Tier Speed within the Business Meter available.  This also provide the supported customer owned modems which I do not believe the ASUS is one.

Hope this helps you out. 

New problem solver

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Great that's what I need,  I guess I'll wait for a tech to respond to this post.  Thank you for your help VBSSP-RICH, I appreciate it.