Skip to content
thienedits's profile

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, June 25th, 2015 4:00 PM

Trying to setup an older Netgear WPN824 wifi router

This worked for like 10 days but recently does not anymore. I am not sure what happened, I had this older Netgear WPN824 router setup and everything was working fine until recently. I have the CG3000DCR and 1 static IP from comcast. Is there anything special I have to do to get my wifi router working again?

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello thienedits and welcome,

There is nothing special you have to do to make sure your Netgear WPN824 (NG824)  works correctly. This is what I recommend you do:

1. log into the Netgear 3000 (NG3K) and go to Gateway Summary, then click cable to mverify that your NG3K has the correct Static IP Gateway programmed within it.

2. If it does not, then call Comcast 800-391-3000, use technical high speed internet option, to have your correct Gateway Static IP and subnet mask programmed within. If it does then log into your NG824 and make absolutely sure that this WAN interface has the correct Routable and Gateway and subnet Static IP address programmed with here. It is always good networking practice to also put in your Primary and Secondary DNSs which are 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76.

3. After you confirm that your NG824 Internet Port in directly ethernet  connected to one of the NG3K Lanports 1-4, then jump up on the Internet and ping your routable,static.IP.address. If you can successfully ping it then you are fully connected up and routing is working.

4. Lastly, if you are using your NG824's internal DHCP Server for your device Internet intranetworking, then you should disable the NG3K internal LAN DHCP server to avoid any possible DHCP conflicts between both NG3K and NG824. If you choose to use the NG3K DHCP, then disable you NG824 DHCP server for the same reason.

Hope this helps you out.  

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Hi Rich

Thanks for the response. I am in the Gateway Summary section and clicked on the Network tab. In this it shows a WAN internet IP Address, however the address shown is Gateway that was written on the sheet from the Comcast technician. Also the WAN DHCP Subnet Mask shows 255.255.252.0 however what the technician wrote down on the sheet for the Subnet Mask was 255.255.255.252. So I am not sure what settings are correct. Calling comcast tech support has been of no help.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Also does it matter that the NG3000 was set to Bridge mode by one of the reps. Would this change any setting I would have to make in my NG824 router?