Skip to content
Brian_EnergySage's profile

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, June 3rd, 2015 1:00 PM

True Bridge mode for SMCD3G-CCR and Vonage

We have Comcast Business Internet, and Vonage for our phone system. We have been having quality and reliability issues with our calls, and Vonage has suggested that we use a dedicated router.

Our current setup: SMC SMCD3G-CCR Modem > Netgear ProSAFE JGS524E Switch

I'm proposing: SMC SMCD3G-CCR Modem > Netgear ProSAFE FVS336G Router > Netgear ProSAFE JGS524E Switch

The Vonage support documents say that the SMC modem has to be put into bridge mode, and that SIP ALG and SPI have to be disabled on the router.

When I've spoken to Comcast tech support on the phone, they've told me that a) Comcast doesn't support true bridge mode and b) we need to buy a static IP to do passthrough bridge mode. However, looking through threads on this form suggests otherwise, i.e., that our modem can be put into true bridge mode, and that we don't need a static IP.

Can someone suggest a sane path forward, that doesn't involve us replacing our phone system?

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello Brian_EnergySage and welcome,

Please see my comments below. Thanx.

a) Comcast doesn't support true bridge mode and

If you want your SMC to be put into "True Bridge Mode (TBM)" simply call Comcast (800-391-3000) and speak to a technical internet support agent and have them fill out a Tier 2 ticket for someone in your business to be contacted for this implementation and discussion of same. Comcast only provides technical support on all their Gateways operating in intrinsic DHCP or StaticIP modes. These are actually the only operating modes that Comcast technical support can log into a customer Comcast Gateway (CG). Therefore, this requires that the interconnected Firewall or controlling router will need to rely on its error logging 

As I am sure you know, when any industry standard internet gateway is put in TBM this fully disables ALL internal routing with the ONLY exception of providing direct access of the CG Wide Area Network (WAN) IP address to a firewall or controlling router device, in your proposed case the  Netgear ProSAFE  FVS336G Router. 

b) we need to buy a static IP to do passthrough bridge mode.

This is the one of the operating mode means by which Comcast can provide total technical support due to its technical agents being able to log into the CG to provide full troubleshooting of all operating, routing, signaling, etc. aspects. Comcast has MANY of its business customers doing the exact same thing you are trying to accomplish using a Comcast Static IP address. All customer's have FULL CG staticIP firewall, device port on/off control, signaling monitoing, etc. facilities built into the user interface - ONLY when the CG is operating in DHCP or StaticIP modes. Again, whenever a CG is in TBM its user interface only provides administration functions. 

Hope this helps you out.