Skip to content
awardsbob's profile

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, April 21st, 2017 2:00 PM

Static IP addresses, Bring My Own Modem

I know that the rules here may or may not have changed but my question is, does Comcast Business allow users to own there own modem and have a static ip address?

Presently, I have a staic address while using a modem provided by Comcast (for $14.95/month lease rate.) I, like many consumers would like to save that by owning my own modem. (The current modem, SMCD3G-CCR(?) that is operating in "bridged mode.")

What are the rules for this senario currently? Can consumers bring their own modem to Comcast Business services and have a static ip address?

Official Employee

• 

869 Messages

7 years ago

Hello awardsbob, currently you must use a Comcast modem in order to use static ip's. 

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

As I had not seen a reply to my post, yesterday, I called Comcast Business Customer Service. After my brief explanation of what I was wanting to do, (buy my own modem) I was assured that as long as it was on the hardware capability list for the "Business" division (slightly different list from residential) I could buy my own modem even with a static address. I questioned this "old rule" requirement due to my static address. The CSR assured me that the old rule was no more. Purchasing 'my own modem' is allowed as long as it is on the capablility list.

Based on what I was told yesterday by CSR, your answer is confusing me.

Official Employee

• 

869 Messages

7 years ago

With your modem we have no ability to login and load a static IP. We do not allow static ip's with purchased modems. Please send me a private message with your account number, ticket number from the call or time of your call. Thank you