Skip to content
medtriq's profile

• 

1 Message

Saturday, July 5th, 2014 4:00 PM

SMCD3G-CCR vs SMCD3G-NV

Hello,

I recently signed up for Comcast Business for my new office, and was setup with the SMCD3G-CCR, which does not have wireless built-in.  I do have a linksys wireless router that I can use to get wireless connectivity in the office,  but as I don't know much about networking, I am wondering if there is any reason not to simply have Comcast swap the modem/router out with SMCD3G-NV, which also has wireless built in.  Any advice regarding this will be helpful.

I currently have the linksys attached to one of the ports of the SMC, and have wireless access.  However, the devices that are connecting wirelessly are not on the same network as the devices that are connected to the other ports of the SMC.  I do really need them all to be on the same network, especially as the printer is wired to one of the ports and I need to be able to print to it from the wireless devices.

I've read a bit about disabling DHCP on the wireless router etc., but would rather not mess with all of those things if having built-in wireless with the other SMC router will be just as beneficial.

Thank you,

AJ

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello medtriq and welcome,

The SMCD3G-NV (SMCNV) is really a Comcast residential wireless modem. However, for a very short time frame there were some Business Class customer trials going on that eventually failed due to the SMCNV lacking integrated and separately secured public WIFI and private WIFI technilogical requirements. So, Comcast now offers the new technology DPC3939B where this product's information can be found at Business Wireless Gateway Overview .

I would be interested in knowing more about your comment " I do really need them all to be on the same network, especially as the printer is wired to one of the ports and I need to be able to print to it from the wireless devices.  "? There are multiple alternatives to your being able to print on your network printer as follows:

1. Connect your printer to one of your Linksys router LanPorts , then pre-program the printers network IP configuration with a dedicated 192.168.X.YYY address with the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.  Now using any wireless or wired computer connected to the Linksys, simply install the network printer networking software and the printer will be made available to any computer.

2. Or connect your network printer to one of the SMC LanPorta and then pre-program the printers network IP configuration with a dedicated 10.1.10.YYY address with the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. Now depending on what type of network printer you have determines what port needs to be transmitted to and received from, instance, some HP printers use 551 or 9100. So, with any wired computer connected into the SMC Lanports, you can again simply install the network printer software on any computer and configure it to be available to any computer using address and port if needed.

Hope this helps you out.