Skip to content
jgillmet's profile

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, February 12th, 2015 7:00 AM

SMCD3G-CCR Port Isolation

I'm new to the world of Business Internet.  My business is currently using one port of an SMCD3G-CCR IP Gateway - what is the likelihood that another customer will be able to access (or infect with a virus) the equipment on my connection, from any of the other 3 ports on the SMC?

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello jgillmet and welcome,

No one can impact any of your current remaining LanPort connections if they are unused. Your Comcast Gateway (CG)  has built in firewall mechanisms that only you can provide remote access to any of your device via port forwarding or NATing. Your 10.1.10.10 - 10.1.10.199 - 252 dynamic addresses can only be access by your devices internally to your business being connected to your CG.

Hope this helps you out.

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I think you've answered my question, but let me rephrase, just in case.  I'm currently connected to port 1 of the SMCD3G-CCR.  If anyone else is connected to any of ports 2-4, is there any way they can access/hack my equipment, on port 1?  Similarly, is it possible for a virus on equipment connected to any port(s) to migrate to equipment on any other port?  Thanks.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

If you change the username and password login credentials to your Comcast Gateway, the answer to your question is no. You should connect a computer via enet connection to Lanport 1, then bring up a browser enter 10.1.10.1 and default username=cusadmin ; password=highspeed. You can go into Administration and change the username and/or password to stop anyone else from being able to change any of your settings. If any other computer is connected to Lanports 2-4 and has a virus on that computer, it is highly unlikely that it will affect the computer on Lanport 1. However, I would make it clear that anyone who connects to LanPorts 1-4, MUST have Nortin anti-virus fully up and and running.

Hope this helps you out.