Skip to content
gwright01's profile

• 

1 Message

Monday, October 8th, 2018 6:00 PM

SMC Networks in Psuedo Bridge Mode with ASUS RT-AC68U

I have been trying to setup our Comcast Business router with the AUS RT-AC68U wireless router and I want to control everything with the ASUS.   I have been told that I cannot put Comcast in total bridge mode because of the 5 static ip addressess that we own.   So I dummy down the Comcast router as much as I can by doing the following:

-Turn Off DHCP

-Turn Off DNS

-Disable  Firewall for True Static IP Subnet Only

-Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection

Is there anything else that I should be doing for this to work?

Advocate

• 

1.1K Messages

6 years ago

Hi gwright01 and welcome to the business forums. 

Thanks for reaching out in regard to your gateway configuration. I'll be glad to assist. I would recommend using passthrough mode since you have static IP addresses. Please see the following thread:

https://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Equipment-Modems-Gateways/True-Bridge-Mode-vs-Pass-Through-Mode/m-p/21260#M2402.

Passthrough mode describes a modem which has its LAN DHCP and Firewall manually disabled through the user interface. This allows traffic to passthrough the modem to a routing device and can be used if the customer has a Static IP address. This is not true Bridge Mode and does not convert the gateway to a basic cable modem. This mode allows most of the routing capabilities of the gateway to remain intact.

Please let me know if you need anything else.