Skip to content
KenR's profile

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, March 16th, 2014 6:00 AM

SMC moden and Netgear router with static IP

I have an SMC moden with a Netgear FVS318N behind it. My static IP in in the router. I connect my network to a Netgear FS116 switch then to the router. Comcast set the modem to pass thru. In the router I cannot port forward telnet to my server. I can ping my static IP from the outside.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

11 years ago

Hello KenR and welcome,

So, you have a SMCD3G modem/gateway with staticIP in psuedo bridge mode and connected to a really nice 8 Port FVS318N (8PF) Firewall device. I presume that this 8PF WAN configuration is programmed with your StaticIP routable, gateway, subnet mask, and Comcast provided DNSs. If you can ping your StaticIP routable address from the Internet, then everything is network programmed correctly in you 8PF WAN.

You stated that your issue is "  In the router I cannot port forward telnet to my server. " and could you please specify what device you are refering to by router?

Assumption 1 : If by router you mean the SMCD3G, you internal staticIP firewall is always disabled, therefore the is absolutely no reason why you should not be able to telnet into StaticIP Routable Device (SRD) using the following: SRD_address:23.

Assumption 2: If your Server is connected to 8PF using its internal DHCP address, then it is mandatory that you generate a 8PF NAT rule for your server DHCP address:23 to be bidirectionally connected/translated to your 8PF port 23. If this is done, then from the internet you can use SRD_address:23 to log directly into your server. Always make sure you server firewall, anti-virus, and/or applications ports are available to the outside.

Look forward to hearing from you on this.  

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

11 years ago

i'm also assuming you are fully aware of the insecurities of telnetting over the public internet unencryptedly 🙂

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

My server is an IBM iSeries, once this problem is solved, we plan on moving on to VPN.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I'm on Assumption 2: Under wan/lan rules I have a rule for Telnet to forward port 23 to my server ( static address of 192.168.1.xx ) in the inbound rules. Outbound allows everything. FYI, I'm not a real tech person, we are a very small office and I'm trying to get this working. We just switched from DSL ( Telnet worked ) to Comcast because DSL was so slow and my softward provider who telnets in wanted VPN to be available.