Skip to content
ascendtech's profile

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 8:00 AM

SMC Modem unable to communicate between static IP's

Went thru 2 rounds with support. They basically said they can ping everything fine from their end so the issue is on our end. We are an MSP provider and this is our in house account. For this not to work is a huge issue. 

Details:

SMCD3G Cable Modem

Hardware Version: 1.01

FIrmware Version 3.1.6.54

Operating Mode: RG

5 total static IP's. The first static IP is hard coded as WAN 1 on a Cisco RV042 router just like normal setup. The last static IP is also hard coded as WAN 1 on a Cisco RV042 router (separate router, not WAN 2 of the first). We have 2 independent networks from a public or outside IP perspective. Each Cisco RV042 router is connected to one of the four switch ports on the back of the SMC modem which does successfully pass thru any of the 5 static IP's on the account. 

When we attempt any communication at all between the first and last static IP address on the account from within each respective network, nothing works. 100% blocked on web or DNS based traffic. HOWEVER, you can easily ping everything between the two networks with no issue. For example, from any device within network one using the first static IP, I can successfully ping the last static IP address which sits on the WAN 1 of the other router. Vice versa works just the same. Try and route to anything on that network via DNS, hostname, or IP address and nothing get's thru??? Every test we did on these inbound routes works perfect (and always has) from any network in the world, EXCEPT the one behind another Comcast static IP on this same cable modem. Support says it is our problem... As a master agent, I am curious if the forums are any good for real suppor before we go up the todem pole which is very frustrating since we contract about 50 clients a year on Comcast. 

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello ascendtech and welcome,

Please see my responses / comments below. Thanks.

" When we attempt any communication at all between the first and last static IP address on the account from within each respective network, nothing works. 100% blocked on web or DNS based traffic. HOWEVER, you can easily ping everything between the two networks with no issue. For example, from any device within network one using the first static IP, I can successfully ping the last static IP address which sits on the WAN 1 of the other router. Vice versa works just the same.

Please verify the following:

1. Do you use any firewall device?

2. From any device on the internet, can you ping both static IP routable and gateway address? If not, then please check both WAN devices network configurations to make sure the correct routable, gateway, subnet, PriDNS, SecDNS are correctly programmed. If you can ping everything from any WAN 1 or Wan 2 device on the Internet, let's move on....

3. Please insure that the SMC.Firewall.True StaticIP IP Firewall is checked and disabled. If not please do so. If it is let's move on....

4. If you have specific Wan 1 and Wan 2 applications that need to talk to each other:

a.)  If you are using Win7 or 8, are applications designated as public? If not, please enable this within the WinOS security segment. If it is let's move on....

b.) Do you have any Anti-Virus firewall blockers setup that need to be disabled? If yes, then set disable for those applications. If no, let's move on....

c.) Sometimes specific Static IP device(s) application(s) port(s) need to be bir-directionally opened  and this can be done as follows between WAN 1.App1.port9 and WAN2.App1.port8:

I. Log into SMC on Computer connected to any free SMC LanPort 1-4, bring up browser and use 10.1.10.1
II. username=cusadmin, password-highspeed

III. Click Firewall.Port Confiuration.True Static IP Address Management, uncheck the block all ports radio button
IV. Click the add new and enter in something like this - 

App1010  9  9  9  9  both  WAN1.Routable.StaticIP.Address

App2010  8   8  8  8  both  WAN2.Routable.StaticIP.Address

Try and route to anything on that network via DNS, hostname, or IP address and nothing get's thru??? Every test we did on these inbound routes works perfect (and always has) from any network in the world, EXCEPT the one behind another Comcast static IP on this same cable modem. Support says it is our problem... As a master agent, I am curious if the forums are any good for real suppor before we go up the todem pole which is very frustrating since we contract about 50 clients a year on Comcast.  "

We would like to provide any assistance we can to insure that our products meet your business needs. Look forward to hearing if any of my input helps you out.