Skip to content
tedmachine's profile

New problem solver

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, April 17th, 2014 7:00 AM

SMC gateway

When I type 10.1.10.1 or the static IP address of my SMC gateway router, the browser doesn't pull this up.  If I reset the modem/router will this fix the problem ??  Are there any consequences of resetting ??  I doubt if i need to do anyting in there.  However, I was hoping I could look at the DHCP address range for some troubleshooting I'm doing right now.  I can't enter a username or password becuase there is nothing on the screen and the browser window eventually times out.  thx,  ted

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Hey, it's great to hear from you:  Comcast_John !!    I've been looking for technical support in all the wrong places until now.

I'll keep this short.  I wasn't able to connect to the SMC gateway interface so still can't login with a username and password.  

I'm using my Mac Pro tower most of the time but did try it with a windows PC running Windows XP.  This with the same result.

One person at Comcast said to use a laptop hard wired directly into the gateway but this didn't work either.  My Apple Time Capsule is set to bridge mode because this is no longer my primary router.  The SMC gateway is my primary router because

it's the one with the static IPs loaded into it.  The Time Capsule just supplies my wireless network.  Could I temporarily disconnect the Time Capsule base station from the SMC gateway in the event it is making things difficult to find the SMC address in a browser  ??  If I upgrade to the 13 static IP addresses then might end up with a new router altogether.  You never mentioned resetting the SMC gateway so I assume this would probably have no affect on my issue.  I typed more than I should have so if I can't get it this time I'm going to forget about it for a while.  I'm pretty sure I need to know more about DHCP before I go clicking around in the SMC gateway again.

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello tedmachine,

Please see my responses / comments below.  Thanks

"  "

My Apple Time Capsule is set to bridge mode because this is no longer my primary router.  

So does this mean that your Capsule DHCP Server is disabled? If yes fine, if no then see below.

The SMC gateway is my primary router because it's the one with the static IPs loaded into it.  

When you had the static IP loaded and configure on the SMC, did you or a Comcast agent disable the SMC DHCP server?  If yes then fine , if no then see below.

The Time Capsule just supplies my wireless network.

If you are using your Capule for wireless capability then you must have your DHCP server enabled to provide dynamic IP addresses to your wireless users.  You should only be using the SMC or Capsule DHCP and not both. When you use both sometime there is a internetworking conflict between the SMC doling out 10.1.10.10 to 10.1.10.199 and your Capsule doling out 192.168.1.XXX to 192.168.1.YYY. 

Could I temporarily disconnect the Time Capsule base station from the SMC gateway in the event it is making things difficult to find the SMC address in a browser  ??  If I upgrade to the 13 static IP addresses then might end up with a new router altogether.  You never mentioned resetting the SMC gateway so I assume this would probably have no affect on my issue.

If you press the little black rest button on the back of the SMC for minimum 15 seconds, this will typically restore the gateway functionality to its default and you should then be able to plaug a computer into any LanPorts 1-4 and login through any browser 10.1.10.1, username=cusadmin, password=highspeed. However, this will more than likely remove your static IP but you can call 1800-391-3000 to have it reloaded. 

I typed more than I should have so if I can't get it this time I'm going to forget about it for a while.  I'm pretty sure I need to know more about DHCP before I go clicking around in the SMC gateway again. 

You now know what you need to in order to get you up and running. I would first try to using the SMC DHCP and disable your Capsule DHCP. If this works okay for you. If it does not then disable the SMC DHCP server and re-enable the Capsule. One of these configuration will work for you but admittingly so, I am not a Capsule guru.

Hope this helps you out. 

"

Advocate

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

HI tedmachine.  The DHCP IP address for the SMC is set to 10.1.10.1.  Try clearing the cache & history and make sure that the PC has an IP address in the range of 10.1.10.X.

Thank You