Skip to content
drift2's profile

• 

1 Message

Monday, June 1st, 2015 2:00 PM

SBG6580 Firmware Update

How do I update the firmware on my SBG6580 according to what I read only the cable provider can update the modem. http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/Upgrading-Firmware-on-Cable-Devices However when I called comcast support they said they dont do that the modem company does that.  So which is true?

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello drift2 and welcome,

Comcast only directly updates its rented/leased gateways / modems firmware including SMCD3G, NetGear3000DCR, and DPC3939B. The quality of service offered by the cable modem, including the downstream and upstream rate caps, is determined by a configuration or boot file fetched by the cable modem from the ISP's network during the cable modem boot-up sequence. The configuration or boot file also tells the cable modem if there are any firmware updates available for it. These files are invisible to the user. 

Your SBG6580 would only be directly upgraded by the modem manufacturer and not Comcast as the following quote from your link specifies as follows:  " This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer. ". Lastly, I do not see the SBG6580 on the supported Comcast business customer owned modems list  in any of the Business Internet Speed Tiers. 

Hope this helps you out.