Skip to content
JeffMcG's profile

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, February 12th, 2021 4:00 PM

Port Forwarding with CBR-T Router

I am trying to get port forwarding working with our CBR-T router.

I'm setting up fort forwarding for VPN/SSTP.  So, I'm forwarding port 443 to an Internal IP address where we have Windows RRAS setup.  I should also note that we have 5 static IP addresses -- one of which we're using for VPN.  When I try to VPN into our network using the external static IP address to an internal IP address using port 443, the connection attempt just times out.

Just to see if there might be something blocking the connection over port 443, I removed the port forwarding entry for VPN/SSTP in the CBR-T router and replaced it with a NAT entry using the same external and internal IP addresses.  Everything works fine.

Is there something I'm missing with configuring the CBR-T for port forwarding?  I know that you're not in the business of configuring routers to specific customer situations but just want to know if there's something I should be aware of when configuring the CBR-T

Thanks,

JeffMcG

Official Employee

• 

26 Messages

4 years ago

Hello, @JeffMcG! Thanks for contacting us about your port forward. This article shows how to set that up and has some handy tips, https://comca.st/2MZuLYk. Port 443 is HTTPS or secure traffic. Please let me know if that article helps or if the issue persists. We are glad to assist you. 

New Contributor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Hi Rayana,

Thanks for responding to my inquiry regarding port forwarding with the CBR-T router.

I followed the link you sent for configuring port forwarding.  I don't think it's much of significance, but the instructions for port forwarding described in the link refer to setting both a public and private port. The CBR-T doesn't offer the public/private port mapping option.  The UI provides for a start / stop range for ports to be forwarded.  So, I'm guessing that the incoming port must be forwarded as-is.  That is, the router can't accommodate mapping an incoming port to another port internally.

That's not a big deal as I'm not planning to map ports.  I'm just looking to send incoming requests for port 443 on a static external IP address to a static internal IP address using that same port 443.  Just wanted to point out that the instructions provided in the link don't quite match-up to what's provided in the CBR-T configuration UI.

I've done a bunch of these port forwarding configurations on other routers but haven't hit this type of problem before.  If anything, this CBR-T configuration UI is one of the more straightforward I've seen,

At any rate, I'll keep playing with this set up to see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

Thanks,

-JeffMcG

Problem solver

• 

43 Messages

4 years ago

Hi there, JeffMcG, thanks very much for your reply and for providing all these details for us in regard to the port forwarding process on your end. I apologize that the CBR-T doesn't offer public/public port mapping as an option for you however, we will definitely be sure to pass along your feedback in regard to the port forwarding instructions provided on our end. Please keep us updated on the status after playing around a bit more. You also welcome to shoot us a private message by clicking my name "ComcastJosephW" then select "Send a Message" on the right side with your name and service address if you continue to run into problems. That way we can take a closer look from the backend and see if there are any additional options to help! Thanks again for both your time and patience!