Skip to content
MikeNaples's profile

Occasional Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, March 30th, 2015 1:00 PM

Port Forwarding on the Cisco 3939B - Falco CCTV DVR.

Our community association just received a Cisco 3939B business gateway from Comcast to replace a SMC 8014. One of the uses for our gateway is to provide access to our Falco CCTV DVR that was installed in 2012. We never had any problems port forwarding the old SMC. When the new gateway was installed I forwarded the necessary ports, 80, 5050, 6050, 7050 and 8000. When I am near the router and connected to the LAN by WiFi I can access the DVR from my computer. But when I try to connect to the DVR from the internet, I can’t get access to the DVR. The necessary ports are supposed to be open according to several independent websites. I tried creating a DMZ for the DVR and I still cannot connect. LAN access tells me the DVR is working fine. So the problem must be with the gateway. Is there any way to confirm that the gateway really has these ports open? I saw a post on another site where a person had a similar problem and they solved it by resetting the gateway and then entering the port forward information again. Is this likely a solution?

Accepted Solution

Occasional Visitor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Comcast_John:  Thank you for verifying that the Comcast gateway was functioning properly and confirming that you could access our CCTV DVR.  After receiving your message I still could not access the system from home.  I began to wonder about my Comcast router at home.  Maybe it was the problem.  So I checked the security settings on the Comcast TC8305C router.  The firewall was set to Medium.  I turned it off using the Custom Security setting.  Access to the DVR worked.  I don't see how I could run the router without any security so I set it to minimum.  Access to the DVR still works.  So the problem has been identified.  It is my home router.  Now, the question is whether it is safe to operate the router with the Minimum Securtiy setting.  I seem to recall that the initial connection of my Apple TV failed until I lowered the security setting.  But is was working with the security setting at Medium on the router.

Would there be a work around to tell the router to allow all traffic from one or more IP addresses or even MAC addresses?

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello MikeNaples and welcome,

First, what is the IP Address that your Falco CCTV DVR (FCD) is currently using. It is absolutely mandatory that you MUST open its IP Address ports. If you have a static IP address, then simply log into the DPC,  go to Advanced, then use Port Management and open up the ports. If you are using a DHCP address, the use the Port Forwading option and open the ports on the specific DHCP address. There is no need for you to put your FCD into the DMZ to get this done, it is a simply opening the ports within the specific address this device is using.

Hope this helps you out.

Occasional Visitor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

The DVR is set up for static IP assignment from the router. It is using 10.1.10.162 right now. Yes I have gone into the Port Forwarding section of Advanced and added the five DVR ports and entered the Server IP address as 10.1.10.162 for each. Each entry is checked as Active. I can ping the IP address when I am on the LAN so the ports must be open and the DVR can be accessed from the LAN so something is working. I only went to the DMZ option as a last resort. This is not rocket science; it should be straight forward. At this point I can only suggest that the router is not working. I just would like to confirm that before we do that. I have kept screen shots of the router and DVR settings for my records.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

So, you are using 10.1.10.162 for your DVR IP Address and have you moved this DPC DHCP dynamic address out of the actual address range that is typically start = 10.1.10.2 to end= 10.1.10.252? If you have not done this then every time you reboot the DVR it will pickup a new dynamic IP address and your cameras will not work.  

So, I recommend that you change your end = 10.1.10.160, then ONLY you DVR will be able to utilize the 10.1.10.162 address if you have force fed this into the DVR. This was the DVR will always use and have this address from the DPC as long as the DVR is directly connected to one of the DPC Enet LanPorts 1-4.

If you could follow my above recommendation and I very confident that you will be all set. It is highly unlikely that the DPC DHCP Server (dynamic router) is defective, so try the above and let us know if this does not permanently resolve you issue.   

Occasional Visitor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

The modem is set to assign the static IP 10.1.10.162 to the DVR. If the Connected Devices is viewed the DVR is listed there and it is shown as static and not DHCP. Rebooting the DVR always returns the above IP address. I have checked the IP assignments from time to time and there has never been a conflict where another device has picked up the IP assigned to the DVR. But I am open to all suggestions and I am going over there today to change the DHCP ending address as you have suggested and to check once again the IP assignment and the IP address entered into the port forwarding page.

Occasional Visitor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I rebooted the DVR and it’s IP address remained the same.  But when it came to limiting the IP assignments from the router I checked the currently assigned addresses and there are many over 10.1.10.160.  These IP addresses have been assigned to Teredo and Skype.  It seems that each time someone uses these programs a new port is assigned to the IP address of the device requesting use.  For example, a service name in the port forwarding section would be “Skype TCP at 10.1.10.179:26965(3008)” and the remaining entries in the row are consistent with this summary information. Most of these Skype entries have a corresponding line following with UDP as the type.  I tried to delete these entries; they could not be deleted.  It seems that every time someone accesses Skype a new entry is made in the port forwarding table and the table is never cleaned up.  I still find it intriguing that the DVR can be accessed from the LAN but not the Internet.  I suppose the only remaining thing I have not done is a complete reset of the router.  I guess that is next.  Thanks for your help.

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

9 years ago

HI MikeNaples. If you will send me a private message with the account number and MAC Address of the device, I will check the WAN settings.

Thank You