Skip to content
U

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, December 13th, 2023 5:52 PM

Plans For Supporting "Next Gen" Upload Speeds On Customer-Owned Modems?

Our location recently got an automatic upgrade of our upload bandwidth and speed as the "next gen" project rolled out in our location. We have the standard plan with 100 Mbps down so we enjoyed the bump from 25 Mbps upload to 100 Mbps upload.

Then we got and installed a modem on the list of compatible devices (https://business.comcast.com/support/article/internet/comcast-business-cable-modem-device-compatibility) and returned the Comcast gateway to save on the monthly lease fee.

Then we noticed our upload bandwidth and speed returned back to the previous speeds - the "next gen" upload bandwidth was gone and back to 25 Mbps. I checked with our rep who said the project had indeed rolled out at our address but he didn't know why we weren't getting the increased upload speed.

I talked to support who confirmed that a Comcast gateway is required to get the "next gen" upload bandwidth speeds. I never saw this documented anywhere.

Are there any plans to waive this arbitrary requirement? I'm sure my particular device (Arris SB8200), and likely others on the cable modem device compatability list (https://business.comcast.com/support/article/internet/comcast-business-cable-modem-device-compatibility) can support the "next gen" upload bandwidth speeds from a technical standpoint.

As it stands now, it is an effective $19.95/month fee (+ installation fee) to utilize the "next gen" upload bandwidth speeds due to this needless requirement.

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

Just as a public follow-up: in my direct message, what I detailed was confirmed (that you need a comcast business router to access the "next gen" upload speeds). In addition, I was told:

"If this changes in the future, that communication will be sent out to our customers."

I'm still wondering if I can get any comment on "why" this restriction exists and if any plans exist to change this policy in the future.

Official Employee

• 

46 Messages

@user_3899c6, thanks for working with me in a direct message. After double-checking things on our end, we can confirm that at this time, there are no future plans in place to change this policy. To receive the next-gen upload speeds, it would require the use of a Comcast Business Router (CBR and CBR2 device). What we do know is that our mid-split next gen increased upload speeds are not working correctly with customer-owned modems. 

I have passed along your feedback and we appreciate your understanding. 

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

@Comcast_Amira​ Thank you for the additional details and for passing along the feedback. 

Official Employee

• 

29 Messages

@user_3899c6 You're welcome! ❤ Please feel free to reach out anytime if you have any other questions or concerns. Our team is here for you and full of experts in everything Xfinity. 

Official Employee

• 

46 Messages

9 months ago

Hello @user_3899c6! Thanks for taking the time to reach out on our Business Forums. We value you as a Business customer and my team is here to support you. To double-check things for you on our end, please send us a Direct Message. To send us a direct message;

Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon in the top right corner
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Comcast Business" there
• - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Comcast Business" from that list
• - An "Comcast Business" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it