Skip to content
dennypage's profile

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, May 27th, 2016 11:00 AM

Non BWG gateways with static addresses

I currently have a SMCD3G-CCR from Comcast, at the 100+ tier. I have a static IP address allocation, so Comcast will not allow the use of customer provided equipment. I have recurring issues with high latnecy, and Comcast has been out several times to try and diagnose.

Lately, they have been hanging their hat on the concept that it's the smc modem and want to replace it with a newer modem with more channels to see if that solves the problem. They want to put in a Business Wireless Gateway, but for several reasons I am not able to use the BWGs. I keep asking if there is an alternative, but I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the Comcast reps.

So, my question is there a non BWG modem that Comcast will support static IPs with? In Comcast's device information center, I see the DPC3008 and CG3000DCR as being supported at the speed tier, but no indication whether or not they support static IPs. Any information on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

For what it's worth, I finally got a Netgear to replace the SMC. Huge improvement. Static IPv4 and IPv6 (/60 only) working fine.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

8 years ago

The CG3000DCR is the only one that will work with static IPs, although I get the feeling that Comcast may be phasing that device out (many people have reported difficulty in requesting it.)

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

8 years ago

Could you share the reasons why you cannot use the Business Wireless Gateway DPC3939/3941? The DPC3941 is the top of the current Comcast line from a channels to speed, built in wired and wireless, best filtering capability, etc.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Sure... For background, I had a BWG for about 48 hours a few months ago as a trial. Reasons that it had to go:

1. Size: The BWG doesn't physically fit in the space I have. The install is in a closet, with the equipment shelf above a patch panel. There is a bit under 4 inches of height available. The BWG is quite a bit larger. We attempted the trial with the unit lying on its side (which it is not designed for).

2. Power: The BWG is a very hungry device. It uses more power than my firewall, switch and AP combined. It takes my UPS from a run time of 49 minutes to a runtime of under 20. In this day and age, it's almost embarrassing how much power this thing uses.

3. Wifi: While Comcast is able to disable wifi access for the BWG, they appear unable to completely disable the wifi transmitter in the unit. There is an AC AP within 3 feet, and having another transmitter within such close range causes interference.

4: Heat: The BWG sheds a lot of heat. The install is in a non-temperature controlled closet, and the BWG heated up the space quite a bit.