Skip to content
LeeThompson's profile

New Contributor

• 

17 Messages

Saturday, July 19th, 2014 8:00 PM

New Issue - Web Admin Stops Responding

This is a minor but annoying new issue.

We've had this circuit and this modem since August 15th 2012 and for this first time this week the web administration interface has stopped responding twice.

(Power cycling the modem restored it for a few hours)

Modem is a SMC SMCD3G-CCR (Firmware Version: 3.1.6.54)

Now I don't go to the administration page all of the time so I'm not sure exactly when it stopped responding but the times I noticed are:

• 2014-07-17 20:57
  • 2014-07-19 13:08

I did a power cycle on 2014-07-18 08:05 to restore the web admin and it worked until I noticed the next day it wasn't working anymore.   I did check and the modem is listening on ports 80 and 443 but just doesn't do anything with them.

22/tcp filtered ssh

23/tcp filtered telnet

53/tcp open domain dnsmasq 2.55

80/tcp open http

443/tcp open https

Note to ComCast: What would be far more useful for us network admins is if we had, at the very least, read access via SNMP to the various metrics - downstream power, upstream power, SNR, etc.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

If it's been happening consistently, it might indicate a modem that's about to give up the ghost.  You could potentially try a factory reset, then a call in to support to get your config pushed back down; perhaps it is a software error. Did you happen to notice a newer firmware on the device recently?

@LeeThompson wrote:

Note to ComCast: What would be far more useful for us network admins is if we had, at the very least, read access via SNMP to the various metrics - downstream power, upstream power, SNR, etc.

Here here! The ability for the modem to log to a LAN-side syslog server could potentially be useful as well.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I doubt you have a hardware issue unless we both just happen to have identical bad hardware at the exact same time (while routing and other functions are fine minus the web gui). I am experiencing the same issue as you attempting to login to the web interface. It has been fine for years minus the few times they upgrade the firmware locking me out and/or losing connectivity for x-period of time until a hard reset. I noticed this admin issue a few weeks ago and thought it was due to the amount of time since it has been rebooted as it is on a UPS. I reset it then and it allowed me to login but now it is just timing waiting for a reply when attempting to login with a continous spinning indicator in the browser.

I hope this isn't some attempt to get us to switch to the POS Netgear routers by sending down a known defective firmware. If anyone has this router I would advise you to attempt to login to the GUI to see if you can access it. 

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi JBRLLC.  The username/password have been reset to the defaults. 

Thank You

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I appreciate your help but I am able to login to the admin UI if I do a full reboot of the router. It 'appears' as if there is some kind of issue with the HTTP daemon like a memory leak due to the way it stops serving pages after 'x' amount of time. This is causing the web browser to hang if you try to access the local IP as it never renders the GUI after the router has been on for a few hours.

The reason I replied to the thread was I noticed the same issue as the original poster and the response was that his hardware may be defective. I am suspect of this as I am also experiencing the exact same symptoms with the same hardware and firmware version so I suspect it is an issue with our firmware.

It isn't a huge issue as I don't regularly login to the admin UI and the routing performance seems to be fine but I would like it to be corrected as I can't always reboot the router whenever I need to login to the Admin Interface. 

This issue is fairly recent as I typically login to my router every 2 to 3 months and haven't ever needed to reboot the router before as it is on a dedicated UPS. If it is possible I would like to go to either a prior version of the firmware or if there is an updated firmware I would definitely appreciate it.

SMC SMCD3G-CCR

Vendor NameSMC Networks
Hardware Version1.01

Firmware Version3.1.6.54

Thanks

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

We too have seen this same problem emerge recently.

We frequently log into the router and check the "Connected Devices" page to discover the IP address assigned to systems temporarily added to our LAN. In the last week or so we've found the web browser persistently times out when pointed at the 10.1.10.1 address though all other network traffic continues to flow. Power cycling the router/modem restores access to the web UI login page for a brief time.

Our configuration:

SMC Networks SMC DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem & Router SMCD3G-CCR
Hardware version: 1.01
Firmware Version 3.1.6.54

New Contributor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

@Comcast_John, just to be clear, when this occurs the cable modem is listening on port 80 and 443 but does not respond at ALL. There's no login screen or anything, it's like the HTTP daemon has just stopped doing anything useful.

I just had to reboot my cable modem so I'm able to get into the admin again, I'll try to see when it stops working again.

Since others seem to be experiencing it recently too; I am willing to bet money that it has nothing to do with the hardware going bad.   As such, I am not prepared to accept any posts so far as the "solution" no matter how enthusiastic Lithium insists that there is one.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

for the record, I never asked my post to be marked as the solution... idk why it was

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

The same thing is happening with me. It'll work for a few hours to a day or so, but eventually results in the same. I have noticed the issue for awhile now and while a "power cycle" will fix it.

However this might be unrelated but I have noticed the issue has ever since I started the "Sam Knows" trial.

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

crap - I have to readminster some settings tomorrow for the SMCD3GN2; trying to access 10.1.10.1 and getting nowhere today. At least I have a tip (cycle power) now. Thanks for your post.

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

I too am having this issue with my SMC.  I want to say it recently started happening, however I could be wrong as I don't frequent the webadin page all that often.  A power cycle will resolve the issue for a short while, but it seems that after some period of time the webadmin is no longer accessible.

New Contributor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Having the same issue.  SMCD3G-CCR. Admin page just times out before loading anything.  Have to reboot to regain usage.  

Official Employee

• 

869 Messages

10 years ago

Hello codechurn sorry for the delay,

Are you still receiving issues with the SMC admin page? 

Official Employee

• 

869 Messages

10 years ago

Hello mrjester sorry for the delay,

Are you still receiving issues with the SMC admin page?

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

9 years ago

Zero_Turner,

Good speaking with you through PM and thank you for the your patience.

Glad to hear your service is working properly.

If you have any other question or can help the community, please post.

Thank you