Skip to content
Terry's profile

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, May 17th, 2016 8:00 PM

Need to increase DHCP space

I keep having an issue when I try to expand the range of the DHCP server..

When I set it to go above 199,  I get a -Invalid value for VPN IP.  VPN IP Range Cannot Overlap DHCP IP Range- error message.

Obviously, I need to adjust the VPN range, but the cusadmin default customer login doesn't allow me to do this..

So, I need someone at Comcast to change the configuration of my modem to allow me to manipulate the VPN range.

This is what I have according to my Comcast account:

• Make & Model: SMC NETWORKS smcd3g
  • Serial Number# h2131239cb78

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

8 years ago

Hello Terry and welcome,

Please log into your SMCD3G again, then go to LAN, when you see this interface screen go down to the bottom VPN designator and type a quanity with the largest value being 254 and the smallest value being like 250. Then go to the largest DHCP value to be 249. This will increase your DHCP range from 10 - 199 to 10-249, adding another 50 DHCP addresses. After you make both of these modifications, then depress apply.

Hope this helps you out.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

when I log in and go to the LAN tab there is no "VPN Designator" on any of the LAN tabs.  I need this function uncovered in my cusadmin login space so I can manipulate it.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

8 years ago

Sorry, it may not be indicated as VPN Designator but is a data entry field, below the DHCP Range field, that starts with 200 (or whatever the highest DHCP address is +1). So this field designator should be 250 - 254 (or 255), then your DHCP range should be from 10 - 249. This will give you 199 to 249 yielding 50 more dynamic addresses for you to use.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Apologies.  What I should have said the first time is that there is no field on the same page as the DHCP Range data entry field that would allow me to change the VPN space.  From what I understand from another post, the VPN data entry field is hidden from the cusadmin user:

http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Equipment-Modems-Gateways/Need-Full-Admin-Access/td-p/9801

Apparently COMCAST has to go into my modem and allow me to see the function to adjust the VPN space.

How do I get that to happen? 

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

8 years ago

Your SMC CANNOT be in True Bridge Mode (TBM) to have access to your standard login using cusadmin/highspeed and then being able to view and modify LAN DHCP start and stop range addresses, Lease Time, VPN start and stop IP addresses, etc.

If you are using your SMC in TBM, then you must go into the second level router LAN DHCP and make the necessary modifications I indicated to expand the DHCP dynamic address range. Not all Gateway have some of the parameters that the SMC does like VPN start and stop address range. So, if you find this to be the case, simply make sure that your DHCP starts at 2 min and ends at 254 max. This should also be able to provide some expansion you require.

Hope this helps you out.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

It is not in TBM.