Skip to content
Raland's profile

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, October 10th, 2015 6:00 AM

Need some Level 2 assistance. Router issues, now on wrong external IP

My Comcast business interent has always been rock solid at home and the companies I support. That has not been the case at my latest account. 

Router has constantly been broadcasting IPv6 DNS to my internal LAN even though DHCP is clearly turned off for both IPv4 and IPv6. I found posts on the forums about is exact firmware issue all the way back to 2013. 

The web interface of the router is only accessible for a few minutes after the router is rebooted, or it may be once I sign out of it the first time it no longer responds.

I discoved last night my router is for some reason on an external IP address range that is not mine. The whole reason of me selling the owner on switching to Comcast from ATT DSL was for a trouble free remote experience. My backside took some damage since he is out of the country right now and can't remote in and I can't fix it.

I don't know if the router is defective or just needs a complete firmware update but given a choice I'd like to replace it with the non-WiFi SMC router than I have at the other sites.

My configuration is very basic. Port 443 forwarded, both wifi channels turned off. IPv4 and IPv6 DHCP off, and I want them REALLY off. I really need to get this fixed and have it stay fixed. Thanks in advance.

-Ralph

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello Raland and welcome, I think you should first check out this article to see if you can determine what is the actual root cause of your connection issue : http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Connectivity/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/25861#M3264 If this does not provide you with the information you need then contact 1800-391-3000, use high speed internet technical option and have the technical agent run through all your Comcast Gateway settings to see if a technician is required. Hope this helps you out.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

9 years ago

Are you currently leasing a static IP from Comcast? If so, then you should have your router's WAN interface configured with the Comcast-provided static IP values. If you have configured your router properly, it should not be attempting to obtain a DHCP lease. Occasionally, I have seen Comcast gateways lose their static IP configuration; in all cases, I have been able to call business class technical support and get them to re-provision the static IPs.

By default, Comcast gateways are typically configured to "Disable firewall and allow all inbound traffic" coming into your static IPs. If not, then there is a check box labeled as such in the configuration pages of the gateway (http://10.1.10.1 )

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I don't have an connectivity issues going out to the internet. I can't remote in from the outside because my router currently has a DHCP WAN address and not my static gateway WAN address. I don't think there is anything I can do to retificy this issue.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

9 years ago

As train_wreck mentioned and now we know you do have a staticIP, it is necessary for you to insure that your Firewall or Controlling router's network WAN is correctly programmed with the routable static IP address, Gateway static IP address, and subnet mask staticIP address. This device MUST also be hard ethernet wire interconnected to any Comcast Gateway (CG) LanPort 1-4. You can easilly detemine this is programmed correctly by simply pinging the routable static IP address and receiving replies.

You can also call 800-391-3000, using the technical high speed internet option, then have the technical agent validate your static IP programmed correctly within your CG