Skip to content
ahniwa's profile

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

Friday, April 4th, 2014 10:00 AM

Need my gateway set to True Bridge Mode

I use Comcast Business IP Gateway Model SMCD3G-CCR. I am having issues which appear to be caused by a multiple NAT environment. I would like my Gateway to be set to True Bridge mode (NOT Passthrough Mode).

Essentially the same solution as in this thread: http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Equipment-Modems-Gateways/Need-my-Modem-in-True-Bridge-mode/m-p/12622#U12622

Thank you!

*edit* And yes, any downtime required to reset the gateway / modem is definitely okay with me. 

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Comcast_John was able to get a tier 2 agent to set my gateway to true bridge mode. My NAT problems are resolved and everything is working as it should, now. Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

10 years ago

Hello JDTW,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, if you have a static IP range the IP-Gateway cannot be set to bridge mode.

This is due to our IP-Gateway needing its router function for customers to utilize a static IP.

I would recommend setting the network a passthrough mode.

This is our information links in regards to it:

Comcast Business IP Gateway and Static IP overview

Comcast Business Static IP and your local area network (LAN)

Thank you

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello ahniwa and welcome,

You can put your Comcast SMC Gateway (CSG) in pseudo-bridge mode as follows::

1. connect a computer/laptop to any free LanPort 1-4 on your gateway.

2. bring up a browser, then enter 10.1.10.1 in the url-address field

3. when the login window appears use username=cusadmin and password=highspeed

4. After logged into the management gui, click on LAN link, 

5. when in the user LAN segment, click on the check mark next to Enable DHCP Server

6. then press the apply button and your SMC will now be in pseudo-bridge mode

When you disable the CSG DHCP Lan server, this means you will not be able to log into the gateway any longer. However, if you find that you need to re-enable the DHCP server, simply press the little black button on the back on the CSG for 15 seconds. This will restore the CSG to factory defaults and you can now log in again.

Hope this helps you out. 

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

@VBSSP-RICH wrote:

When you disable the CSG DHCP Lan server, this means you will not be able to log into the gateway any longer.

Don't think this is true; disabling the internal DHCP server of the SMC does not disable the 10.1.10.1 internal IP address, as far as I've experienced. My current SMC's diag interface is still very much accessible.

And to the OP: if you are using the rental comcast modems for business class (the SMCD3G and the Netgear CG3000DCR)  "virtual" bridge mode can only be done if you do not have a static IP, and as far as i've observed, it is as true as you can get. The modem will pass a public IP address (up to 5, actually) to whatever device(s) is plugged in & is DHCP-enabled.

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hey again train_wreck,

So you say " Don't think this is true; disabling the internal DHCP server of the SMC does not disable the 10.1.10.1 internal IP address, as far as I've experienced. My current SMC's diag interface is still very much accessible. "

Well, first of all if when you disable the Comcast Gateway internal DHCP server, this disables the ability for any of the LANPorts 1-4 to pull any default DHCP 10.1.10.10 too 10.1.10.199 dynamic addresses. You must have a VERY special SMC and computer and browswer devices to continue to login into the management gui under this auspices, because if your computer network configuration cannot connect to the internet via obtaining a dynamic IP address from any LANPort, then you must have some magical stuff going on. Very cool...... Smiley Wink 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi,

I have had my modem set to "true bridge mode" since I have had my account.  Today I had to reset my modem because it was assumed that would fix the issue that the modem wasn't getting an IP.  It turned out it was an issue with the line and now when I call back my line is listed as having an outage block and I can't get through to an actual person. I would like to get my modem reset to true bridge mode if possible.  I have no other way to get a hold of a person through the phone tree.

Thanks,

Josh

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Josh.  I can assist with this request.  Please respond via private message with the requested information.

Thank You

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Comcast_John, How can I get mine set up in true bridge mode? What info do you need?

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

10 years ago

Hello Geek_Chett,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry for the late reply to your question.

In order for us to assist we will need the following information:

1. The WAN MAC address of the IP-Gateway

2. Your Account Number

3. A confirmation that you do not have a static IP-Range

Please send me the above information via private message for assistance.

Thank you

Visitor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I would also like my IP gateway set to True Bridge mode.  If someone from Comcast could please contact me or initiate a PM to get this going, that would be great.  Thanks!

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

10 years ago

Hello lapislazuli,

Welcome to the forum.

I've received your message and replied to it.

Please send me the following information on your reply for me to assist you.

2. Your Account Number

Thank you

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Hello,

I would also like to have my gateway set to bridge mode, if possible. Can you initiate a PM so I can send you the necessary information?

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hello,

I need help putting my comcast router into true bridge mode, I *do* have a static IP. Can anyone help?

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

10 years ago

Hello nojorge,

Sorry for the late reply.

I've just sent you the private message as requested.

Please send me the following information on your reply for me to assist you.

2. Your Account Number

Thank you

New problem solver

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

To explain a little better comcast has a unique way of handling static IP addresses.

Your modem still gets a DHCP address from Comcast but with a Static IP the extra step of updating the RIP tables in the Comcast routers take place.

Lets say for instance your static IP was x.x.x.x 

Your comcast modem receives a DHCP address of y.y.y.y

It updates the Comcast RIP router to say the next hop to x.x.x.x is y.y.y.y

This way your router receives your traffic and routes it to your IP address.  

Because of this extra routing there really is no true bridge mode on Comcast equipment.  This is also why you must rent a modem if you have static IPs, Comcast must be able to control the security of the RIP updates.

There is always a 10.1.10.1 network with static IPs and if I use that network the traffic goes out on the gateway address effectively giving you 6 ip addresses (5 static IPs and the gateway) if you are ok with the modem doing the routing.

True bridge mode on a dynamic ip address probably gets rid of the 10.1.10.1 interface.  You might be able to set a static ip on a PC plugged in directly to the modem and get to 10.1.10.1

I hope that helps clear things up.