Skip to content
env's profile

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, August 13th, 2014 1:00 PM

Modem reset/reboot schedule?

I called Business Internet support last night and they noted my modem (SMCD3G-CCR) had been up for ~111 days. They performed a remote reset and told me to powercycle the modem 1/month. Their logs/reports did not raise any concerns.

Does anyone else follow such a reboot schedule for Comcast business class service?

BTW, our speed is 100/20 and my reason for calling was to corroborate some, reportedly, system down alerts.

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello env and welcome,

I have not heard of any such Comcast Modem powercycle sequence requirement. Did they say what the root cause reason was for doing this?

I only know that customers just want there service to be consistently on as much as possible, especially during business operation hours, while operating at the highest effectivity and efficiency.

Are you having any issues we can help with?

Accepted Solution

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

They likened the reboot to 'humans needing sleep' and computer restarts, etc..

The issue is, I don't think it is reasonable for business class customer to perform modem powercycles, for maintenance purposes, and I was wondering if other business internet customers followed any modem powercycling schedule or received similar advice from Comcast support.

Accepted Solution

Advocate

• 

1.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hey env.

Please see my comments below.  Thanks.

They likened the reboot to 'humans needing sleep' and computer restarts, etc..

The above is rather humorous to say the least. I can see if you change a value within the Comcast modem a reboot can solidify some specific changes but the absolute majority can be administered by clicking the apply button. 

The issue is, I don't think it is reasonable for business class customer to perform modem powercycles, for maintenance purposes, and I was wondering if other business internet customers followed any modem powercycling schedule or received similar advice from Comcast support.

I totally agree with you that power cycling modems is not good business practice for intuitively obvious reasons. The bottom line is if your internet service is not broken and working too meet you business needs then there is no justification that I am aware of to powercycle your modem ".....for health reasons...". Smiley Wink

Take care and let us know if you need anything.