Skip to content
klotz's profile

New problem solver

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, April 6th, 2017 9:00 AM

Memory corruption in SMC 1.01 with 3.1.6.57

I have the same SMC networks cable modem that I got when I originally signed up for Comcast Business, many years ago.  I've noticed that when I list the clients in the web UI, it fetches a JSONP list of mac addresses, names, and IP addresses.  Sometimes this list contains the string 

00.30.84.6/usr/sbin/autolearn.sh\\ 2\\ log\\ vlan\\ 0'

instead of a MAC address.

I'm concerned that this memory corruption reflects instability in the modem software, and could potentially be exploited for a remote code execution vulnerability. My firmware version is 3.1.6.57.

I've also had to completely disable DNS service through the cable modem, because it stops responding after a few days and comes back only with a reboot.

Gold Problem solver

• 

575 Messages

7 years ago

Hello klotz and welcome to forums,

Based on the information you have provided I have two potential solutions for you. First is for me to push a factory rest from my end ensuring that the Firmware is up to date and that the modem is re-registered to the network. Next would be to have a tech come out to check the lines and possibly swap the modem. The factory rest usually takes 2-3 minutes but can take up to 40 minutes to complete. Do you have a preferred time of day for this rest?