Skip to content
emetri's profile

• 

1 Message

Sunday, June 7th, 2015 8:00 AM

Internet keeps dropping when downloading very large files, power cycling modem fixes it

Whenever there's a substantial amount of data being transferred (downloading a large file over a sustained period of time will do it) my modem dies. The cable modem's web portal doesn't respond so I can't even log in to look at the channel it's on or any of it's information. Rebooting it fixes the problem for awhile (but often not very long; i.e. 20 minutes or 30 minutes if I keep downloading.)

It's a DOCSIS 2.0 modem because one of the channels gets interference from a nearby Verizon cell tower due to the shielding having been gnawed through by squirrels. (I know, sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory. I feel silly just describing it.) Because DOCSIS 3.0 will just randomly hop onto a bad channel and stay there and have your overall connection fail as a result, while the DOCSIS 2.0 one will switch to a healthy channel if it does (because it only uses one), I've been using a DOCSIS 2.0 modem for several years intentionally upon recommendation from the Comcast tech and it's generally been stable until the last month. 

GATEWAY STATUS

Initilization Procedure

Vendor NameSMC Networks
Hardware Version1A
Serial Number(Ask)
Firmware Version4.01.21-CCR
Operating ModeRG
System Uptime000 days 00h:18m:34s
DateJUN-07-2015
Time

07:23:37

CABLE MODEM

Initilization Procedure

Initialize HardwareComplete
Acquire Downstream ChannelComplete
Upstream RangingComplete
DHCP BoundComplete
Set Time-of-DayComplete
Download CM Configuration FileComplete
RegistrationComplete
TRAFFIC ENABLED

Downstream Channel

Downstream Frequency561000000 Hz
Lock StatusLocked
Modulation256 QAM
Symbol Rate5.360537 Msym/sec
Downstream Power5.2 dBmV
SNR36.888 dB

Upstream Channel

Upstream Frequency36700000 Hz
Lock StatusLocked
Modulation64QAM
Symbol Rate5120000 sym/sec
Upstream Power40.6 dBmV
Channel ID40

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

9 years ago

Where is the shielding broken? If it is on the coax cable coming in from the street, then Comcast will fix that for free. If it's on the wiring inside your location, then you'll have to replace it yourself. Either way, it can absolutely cause this problem. It's not crazy to say that cell tower interference carries over onto coax wiring; it does, and breakage in the line makes it all the more easy for those signals to leak in. I even see it in my perfectly functional line, manifesting as higher error counts on ~700MHz channels.