Skip to content
randyadh's profile

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 1st, 2020 7:00 AM

How do you get your ethernet devices on the same network as your wireless devices?

We started off with the Comcast Cisco Modem/Router DPC3941B

All equipment (wireless and wired) was connected to this device.
Subnet: 10.1.10.0/24

We had connectivity issues and they came and installed a cradlepoint AER1650LP4.
It wasn't properly setup and we ended up with a mess.

Original Network (wireless and ethernet): 10.1.10.0/24

New Ethernet Network: 192.168.165.0/24

New Private Wifi (Wifi Pro) network: 172.16.100.0/24

New Guest Wifi (Wifi Pro) network: 172.16.101.0/24

As you can see here, a device on the new Ethernet network and a device on the New Private Wifi are on 2 different networks.

Does anyone know how to change the IP range used for "Private Wifi"?
If I can figure that out, I think I can resolve the majority of our issues.

New Private and Guest Wifi are manged using the WiFi Pro web based management.

I CAN'T access the cradlepoint device directly from within the network.

I CAN access the Cisco device directly from within the network.

Thanks in advance!

New problem solver

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

Just started myself to dig into the cradlepoint installation but I thought the WiFi is on the Internet gateway, not the cradlepoint (?). You should see the 172.16.100.0/24 on the Internet gateway (the 10.1.10.1) - do you?
Also from https://cradlepoint.com/products/aer-1600 the 1650 model should have no WiFi.

If my understanding above is correct then you cannot have the same IP subnet on 2 different _routed_ nodes (*). The assumption for any system on a particular subnet S is that other nodes within S can be directly reached, i.e. within the same broadcast domain and without the help of another "hop" in between.
To make things more complicated: the cradlepoint should NAT it's LAN IPs to the IP address it obtains from the Internet gateway for it's WAN interface. You don't have a transparent access to the cradlepoint's LAN.

(*: one may do complex things with proxy ARP but it's hiding the fundamental mismatch of the setup and the goal)

The whole cradlepoint setup seems odd. I moved my own switch, which connects to the access point(s) and local computers, from the gateway LAN to the cradlepoint LAN, to have a cellular Internet backup for both. And yes, to have both in the same IP subnet 🙂

Problem solver

• 

348 Messages

5 years ago

Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to the Digital Care Team here through the forums. We are so sorry for the delay and sorry to see that you are having issues with the internet connection. You have reached the right team to help make sure we get this taken care of. Can you please send us a private message with your name, the full address, and the account number? 

Problem solver

• 

348 Messages

5 years ago

We are glad to see that you were able to get this taken care of and if there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know as we are always here 24/7. 

New Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks to mbind - that got me headed in the right direction.

The key to solving the issue is easy.

When you configure your Private Wifi in WiFi Pro, DISABLE DHCP.

It will now use the IP range from the cradepoint device (192.168.168.0/24)

Problem solved.